Several years ago my big sister Joanna got married in Nashville. (Yes, that's sorority talk. I've not done anything sorority-related since college, just in case you were wondering, since I often get the "You? Sorority?" look. Long story.) On that trip we were based downtown, and had a chance to go to the Country Music Hall of Fame (which I really did enjoy, and which was where I learned to like Elvis). There's also a crazy replica of the Parthenon (yes, from Athens Greece) in Nashville, complete with a huge gold sculpture of the goddess Athena. Once was enough of that.
On this trip, we were there for a conference, and were based a bit outside of town. Nevertheless, we did manage to escape the final evening, and went to the Grand Ole Opry. We had no idea what we were going to see, but decided that we were in Nashville, and this was the thing to do. Turns out, it was a bluegrass evening, in tribute to Bill Monroe, and we had a blast! I even found a new band that I like. Yes, they're bluegrass, so it's surprising to me, too. They're called the Steeldrivers. I also really enjoyed the short sets by Dailey & Vincent (their four-part a cappella harmony was incredible!), and the Grascals. In any case, a photo album for your enjoyment.

The booth. We have a new monitor for playing the DVD. People did stop to fill out our survey and give us feedback on what we are doing.

Wasn't this fun? Sadly it's a chain, but it wasn't bad, and the entertainment value is high! It's called the Aquarium, and is an 'underwater dining experience.' Todd and Sarah, there's one in Denver, so you might want to check it out!

An articulated sting ray, above. Below is a shovel-nose guitar fish, one of my favorites from my aquarium days. (For those of you who don't know, I was a volunteer docent at the National Aquarium in Baltimore during my college days. I spent a lot of time in the shark and ray areas! The guys were surprised by how much I still remember. Then again, it's an aquarium, and marine issues are one of my passions.)


The guitarfish cruises over the white-tip Caribbean reef shark, above. Below, an assortment of tropical fish.


At the Grand Ole Opry. Above, the Del McCoury band starts off the evening, while below, The Grascals close it out.


Above, the famous stage, from the upper level. Below, the site team--Robert, me, and Caleb--outside the Opry.
No comments:
Post a Comment