So with my new assignment at work, my travel schedule has changed dramatically. The director wanted my plate cleared, so that I could focus on this new task, implementing his vision in this one section of the museum. He also didn't like my travel schedule of last year--I understand. While I would not have traded a single experience, it was super hard being away so much. Many people think that traveling for work is glamorous. I agree that it can be amazing, and I have friends the world over to prove it, but living out of a suitcase, never knowing what time zone you're in, and running through airports is often not fun at all.
In any case, because I'd been building teams for the one busy travel project last year, I planned for a quieter year this year--I only had five trips on the calendar at the start. With the reassignment, however, I lost two of them: New York City and Peru/Ecuador. Because of the reassignment, I got about ten more, all to New York City. I love the chance to get to the city and work with the folks in the museum there, and it also gives me the chance to see the family a bit more, but really, this schedule isn't much better. Sure, New York's an easy trip from Washington, in a number of ways, but the time probably adds up to more time on the road and the number of travel authorizations and paperwork is certainly much greater.
All this to say that the blog may be a bit quieter this year. Greg's off to visit his sister in Portland Oregon next weekend--I saw her in March when I was out for the conference. I have a quick day trip to New York later this month, then an overnight in June. So perhaps for the next two months, I'll work on posting photos from earlier trips, to share some of that.
Come July, I am expecting to be in Australia, probably for the whole month. I'm trying to get the schedule straightened out next week, but it appears that I'll have commitments for work for two weeks, then will take some time after, probably two weeks or so, to see friends and visit, as I haven't been to Australia before. I may not leave the state of Queensland--it's a big country too--but I've got to start somewhere! And then in August, I recently learned that I'm back to Little Bighorn for the tour group again. So good things to come, even if they are a little slower this year. The plus side is that I get to do a little touristing in my town, for a change. There's certainly plenty I haven't seen here yet!
No comments:
Post a Comment