Friday, June 18, 2010

June in DC -- more global adventures

Since I'm forced to stay close to home this summer, I'm going to explore the city and take advantage of events here. Thankfully, this is Washington, so there is always something interesting going on!

Kelly and Bree came to visit last weekend, to see another friend of Kelly's who is in town for a 30-day detail assignment. So we met up Saturday at the Zoo.


We had perfect timing, and just make the cutoff. As a result, Bree got to help groom the goats.


And the donkeys.


Then, she got all raptor on us....

And thought it was great fun!


It was a horribly hot and humid day though, so we called it quits after a few hours. (And after Bree ate everyone's gelato.) We did meet up again the next day for brunch. And they'll be back again next weekend, when Anne's in town for home leave!

We also have a festival underway at the museum just now on Bolivia, in sponsorship with the Inter-American Foundation. The artisans are wonderful and their work is absolutely stunning!


These hammocks are gorgeous and I really wish I had a place for one.....


Incredible ceramics and wood. Yes, they had to ship all of this to the museum.



The textiles are stunning. I bought a tablecloth and napkins, woven on a loom like the one above. So tight! Doesn't this color look amazing against our copper screen wall?


More festivals this summer to come! Argentina, Mexico, Peru.... Should be great fun!

On Monday night we went to an opening of an Aboriginal art exhibition at the Australian Embassy. Not surprisingly, I saw several current and former colleagues there too. The work, as it turns out, is locally owned (University of Virginia). It is gorgeous.


This weekend we're dogsitting, and I couldn't be more excited! Next week I have an invite to the Brazilian Embassy, so we'll see how that goes....

No comments: