So it stormed again today as I was heading out on my cultural program. What is it with storms on Tuesdays here?
Sunday was a bit of an odd day because my plans shifted again. So I headed out to the Museum of the Central Bank at the House of Culture. It's supposed to be really good. However, 3/5 of it was closed (and I now understand that the gold gallery has been closed for years). I wasn't particularly interested in religious art, so I only toured the one gallery, of the early history of Ecuador. It was really interesting and I did enjoy it. Then I grabbed a late lunch, and went back to the hostel. Juan Carlos and I were still planning to go to Itchimbia, but not really for the park anymore, just for dinner in a restaurant on the side of the mountain overlooking the city. It's famous for sunset watching, and absolutely did not disappoint!
Yesterday's cultural program was to the Botanic Garden, which was fabulous. Another of the professors took me and we had a terrific guide. I think he was pleased to have someone who was interested in plants and knew something about them! They had cloud forest, high-altitude grasslands called páramo, dry land, orchids (!) and carnivorous plants. Ecuador has more than 4,000 orchid species. While they weren't all here, it was really wonderful.
Today's trip was to the Museum Cera in the center of town. I finally got the chance to walk through the middle a bit, although the storm was approaching rapidly so we didn't really dawdle. The Museum is really interesting - it's about the history of Ecuador around its independence from Spain, so a very important museum. Now I'm stealing the computer for a bit before salsa class. Yippee!
Either tomorrow or Thursday evening we're going to go salsa dancing. If it's not Thursday, then I may take the Quito by Night tour. Friday I think I'll go do some volunteer work at the COICA offices. I think Juan Carlos is planning an excursion for Saturday. And I'm going to sleep on it one more night, but I think I've decided on my travel trip next week, and if it sticks, then I leave Sunday morning. I'll plan to download this week's photos at the school on Friday, and do another post with photos either Friday or Saturday. ¡Salud!
No comments:
Post a Comment