Grasshopper on the screen door to the lodge. Not a problem.
For some reason this morning we had a late class again, which would have been great, except that it was a class on inversions. As a beginner, and also as someone with a nerve problem in my neck and shoulder, the only inversion I'm really allowed to do is sit with my legs up and against a wall. That doesn't really work for 90 minutes. So the three of us who were beginners were "excused" from this class, and another who has a shoulder problem also skipped. So three of us went kayaking instead. Woohoo!
Iguanas, just hanging in the sun along the banks of the river. These were BIG -- body alone was about two feet long, the tail another two feet or more.
So green and lush!
See? I did it. I actually really like kayaking. This was a great place to do it -- we're about an hour powerboat ride from the mouth of the river where it connects to the ocean, and it's very gentle. The river is deep, but calm. And, without snakes. Or so they said.
Panoramic of the Moho River. So very peaceful.
I like this one too, with the tip of my kayak in the frame.
Even though the camera is waterproof, it would have sunk if we'd dropped it. It took us seven attempts to take this photo! Keep in mind -- we are each in our own kayak, hanging on to the middle one, scrunching in for the photo, and trying not to tip ourselves over. I think we get high points for this selfie.
Turtles were out too, also catching some sun.
This iguana looks like he's falling off, but he's actually resting on a smaller branch. They were really funny when they did fall into to the river though.
Back at the lodge, the doorway to the gazebo. This is the day they were power washing, so I couldn't stay and read. Some of the girls were off on a cacao tour. Since I've been lucky to have seen and done that at the museum, I didn't need to pay extra this time. Besides, I wanted to make the afternoon class on shoulders and hips, two of my problem areas.
The path up to our cabana. We had the only one with a ramp. The lodge was full when we checked in, or I imagine they would have left this one open in case someone needed it.
We were all itch factories by this point. One of the girls also learned that those sand fly bites would be with us for a month. Yikes! (Thankfully, they didn't itch that long, but they are still visible, three weeks later….)
And this is when the spiders started. Some of the girls had seen a tarantula on the road that afternoon. During evening class, there was some moving of mats, which is odd. Once class was done, we all could see the very large female spider (about 3-4" in length) with the massive white egg sac on her back who liked this one post in the studio. One of the girls got her under a glass and took her out of the studio and into the trees. Thankfully she didn't come back during our stay.
Card games continued. In addition to frustration gin, we were playing poker, scat, and crazy eights. Also something called Egyptian rat screw, which I can't remember just now.
After dinner we had a liqueur tasting. An Italian man from England who studied to be a doctor in Australia is married to a Chinese woman raised in Scotland, also a doctor. Hearing a Scottish brogue from someone who looks Chinese does mess with your mental images. They moved to Belize. They are still doctors, mostly to the expat community. They also have a farm and do a variety of other things, including making liqueurs, which is traditional from his family. We tried several, including lemongrass (which surprised me that I liked, because I usually find the herb too strong for my palate), culantro, coffee, mulberry, passionfruit, and chocolate mint. Of course, the chocolate mint was exquisite, but I really like the mulberry. It was great fun, although didn't bring any back.
The trip was winding down. Just one more full day with the group.











No comments:
Post a Comment