Friday, July 24, 2015

installing a bridge

The Festival runs two weeks, Wednesday through Sunday. While the bridge normally takes the village just three days to do, there were obviously many fewer people here in Washington to help. And, the Festival runs for two weeks! So they worked slowly. And it poured so badly on Saturday that the Festival grounds were closed and we moved as much as we could into the museum for the day. But by the first Sunday, they were ready to install the floor cables. 

My team from the museum really wanted to see this because it would help for our installation. Sadly, with it being Sunday, they couldn't. And being female, I couldn't be up on the abutments, so no photographing by me. Thankfully our contractor could come in. He had such a great time being up top and helping them!

First, separate out one cable.
Then, get all available men to help carry it over to the site and up the stairs. This was amazing to watch, because some of the other participant groups, particularly a group of young Afro-Peruvian musicians, were the first to volunteer to help them. I love Festival; these folks likely would never have crossed paths otherwise, and here they were, building an Inka suspension bridge together. 
The Festival production manager and I were joking that this was probably the first time the bridge makers ever walked BETWEEN the abutments. But whereas in Peru they would walk the lead rope for the cables across the old bridge, here they dropped the rope, walked across the Mall, and tossed it up the other side. Then they pulled the cable across.




Almost there....
And four cables! Because I was down below, I don't have god pictures of them all pulling, but the tug of war was re-enacted for each of the cables, on both sides, to get them tight and secure them into the abutments. Most of the guys on the Folklife tech crew helped, and I while I was terribly jealous, I was so pleased that they had the opportunity to do something like this. More, they all told me how amazing it was and how privileged they felt to be able to assist. Yay!
Monday and Tuesday were the "weekend" but on Wednesday, they planned to begin the sides. However, there was a huge storm Tuesday night, and while they prepped the cords Wednesday morning, they spent the afternoon re-pulling the cables and cleaning up. Here, bridge master Victoriano shows how to measure the cord to make the sides.
First, stretch it as far as you can, then measure an extra amount from your fingertips to your elbows. 
Then double that, cut it, and tie it off. Yup, that's it. And yes, it's a good thing that the bridge makers are all nearly the same height.
Before starting on Thursday, one member walked the cables to be sure the cables were tight enough. There is a flooring that they install too, but as Victoriano has said, it doesn't matter structurally it just makes people feel safe.
The bridge master starts from one side with two assistants, and the chief engineer from the other, also with two assistants.
And they loop the cords over and tie them on, scooting their way across.
And eventually, you have a bridge! Of course, Thursday was ahead of schedule, so the plan was to undo some before the dedication ceremony so that people could see them finish. Friday?
These bars are secured with more woven cord woven around the floor cables, precisely so that the cables maintain their spacing and tension.
The ladies also made me a flat-weave six-cord braid which they use for securing the abutments. It can also be used for a horse harness, since it's flat. Who knew?

Well, the plan was to wait for the weekend, so on Friday they had a bit of a lazy day, talking with people and running errands around town! I actually gave them directions to a store in my neighborhood.... It rained again on Saturday, so the grand finale was scheduled for Sunday. This was hard for Elisa who was in town specifically to film the finale; she and her family lived and worked with the community for a year for a documentation she's doing about the bridge. However, especially with Friday being a federal holiday, it gave me more time to spend with the bridge builders (who were still on-site) and with her. And so when Victoriano asked about finding a phone so he could call home and check on the farm, I was there and able to help. It was amazing to see him in my office, using my phone, with Elisa filming him. After, we were able to relax and talk for a few, out of the heat and humidity. He is such a lovely man.



Sunday dawned a beautiful day, although warm. I felt badly for them in the wool. But, there was a bridge to finish!

 First the ceremony. This involved three types of corn, coca leaves, wine. I'm not sure if the llama fetus made it into the country; if it did, it probably was used in the pre-ceremony, asking the local deities for a good and successful Festival. Roger didn't mention llama here, so I think that's what must have happened. 

 Then, finishing the sides. 

 And ta-da!

Then it was time to cross. Roger had told me he was going to get me up on the bridge; I figured that would be Monday morning before we took it down. After the community came off, they had the director of the Festival cross and the director of the Center. Then, the two curators for the Peru program crossed. Then, very much to my surprise, Victoriano leaned over the side, called my name, and waved me up. Yikes! Now, I know I'd been working on this project for a long time, and I know they knew me. But this was not part of the plan. But when the bridge master calls you and invites you to cross, you go. 

 About 1/4 of the way across the bridge makes it's first big bounce. And I froze. Completely. It's amazing how much goes through your head so quickly. I could hear Elisa behind me. I knew I couldn't back up, and I really didn't want to. I knew my colleague from the museum was down below, and I could hear her. I saw and could here another friend from the Festival staff encouraging me. And I thought about the amazing honor of Victoriano calling me up, making me part of the dedication ceremony, and of being the museum's representative. And so I refocused and took off, setting my hands and then moving one foot at a time. 
 Halfway. And it wasn't so bad.

And when I got to the end the bridge builders were laughing at me! So I told them that I don't like heights or when the floor moves. But, I trusted all of them and I knew the bridge was safe, so I kept going. What an absolutely incredible experience!

I knew I was going to be sad to see it come down the next day. 

No comments: