Monday, July 31, 2017

London! part one

We started with laundry and unpacking, roaming the neighborhood a bit, and finding food. Lebanese became the evening's choice and it was fantastic, even if they didn't give us our leftovers. The hotel was just blocks from the Earl's Court station, in a really great neighborhood. And the hotel was nice even if the beds weren't very comfortable. Our first full day had a highlight scheduled- the Harry Potter Studio Tour!- so it was only the morning that we had to plan. And we opted to go to the Design Museum. Great choice.

"Our" Underground station. 
At the Design Museum we saw the brand-new exhibition Breathing Colour by Hella Jongerius, which was fabulous! I thought this installation where you could move the pieces around and the light changed was just magnificent. What a difference color makes, both the materials themselves and the light shades, and the absorptions. So cool.

We also saw an exhibition on California design, which I wasn't thrilled by, one on designers, makers, and users, which was interesting but OK, and one called Cartier in Motion curated by Norman Foster, which blew me away and made me want to go out and buy a Cartier watch. Like right now. (Sorry, no photos allowed there.)
But the afternoon..... We had to get to Watford Junction to pick up the bus to Leavesden, and that was a bit of an adventure. But on the bus we had ads by Jason Isaacs, so I considered that a plus. The lines were long, but they moved well, and once inside, there was plenty of space for those with a bit of patience. The lobby is full of incredible photos of all the characters over time.
Once the intro film finishes, the doors are opened into the Great Hall. And it's magnificent! Throughout, while walking the sets, you do see the actual sets where they filmed and the costumes that the characters wore. There are props and descriptive/explanatory film clips, and so much info.
The three iconic professors, front and center of the Great Hall.
The Gryffindor common room. Interestingly, Kati is a very proud Slytherin. I always tested as a Ravenclaw, and I was happy with that. The night before going, I took the Pottermore test, and another one, and this time I got tagged for Gryffindor. They both basically told me that like Hermione, the sorting hat wanted to put me in Ravenclaw (34%) but in the end, chose Gryffindor (35%). Now I feel all conflicted. I still bought a Ravenclaw bookmark. Because yes, I like to read and I am a nerd.
Hermione's time-turner, one of my favorite objects. I've long lamented that I can't have something similar to let me do all the things I want to do.
 Dumbledore's office. I liked this presentation, with the costume for Michael Gambon here and up above, a little towards the back, the costume for the late Richard Harris.
The potions room was very cool, with several pots stirring themselves. And of course, Professor Snape in attendance.
Potions on the shelves. Need any spider parts?
There were some green screens too where folks could model their hero. Here, you, too, can play quidditch. 
One of the eerier sets, this in the house of the Malfoys when Voldemort convenes the Death Eaters and the snake Nigini gets a treat. 
On to the Forbidden Forest, where there is a show of the giant spiders.
And the Hogwarts Express, of course! It was a real train, Scottish engine, converted to the compartments for the film. 
Then, a cafe break! And of course, you have to have butterbeer. 
 
Then you hit the backlot, where the Knight Bus has pride of place. They did make this from three London buses. 
No 4. Privet Drive is here too, along with the room where the Harry receives an avalanche of invitations to Hogwarts because he hasn't replied.
The bridge is here too, along with the chess pieces. I loved them. And they are big. 
Then it's into the studios- the creature workshop, set design, animatronics, and models. These dangerous creatures books were my favorites and they had an animatronic one out too.
And of course, there's Diagon Alley! It's so wonderful, and you feel like a little kid looking up and around with your mouth hanging open the whole time.
Finally, the set models. This one of the castle is unbelievable and so beautiful. Hard to believe that most of the larger castle shots were done with this, but the detail is incredible.

We had to leave time for the shop, of course, but we were both rather disappointed. It was then a long trek back, and we were both tired. But we had a leisurely morning ahead of us, with no set plans until lunch with an old friend of mine who was currently based in London.


No comments: