Since we're on the topic, I might as well take care of the pressing food questions from the start. There is good seafood in Belgium, and that's primarily what I ate. I had more moules-frites (mussels and fries) in four days that I generally get in a year. And they were wonderful! I had the waterzooî, a fish stew. And lots of Belgian beer (although not even close to tasting my way through the more than 400 varieties in Belgium). I think I have a new favorite: Leffe brun.
But it's really the chocolate. The Belgians absolutely know what they're doing here! Pralines and truffles. Bark and liquid. Milk and noir. It really doesn't matter. I got spoiled quickly by entering shops and receiving "samples." Until, that is, I entered two chocolateries in a row that didn't give samples, and then the honeymoon was over. Until then, I was lamenting the fact that there were too few meals and too many chocolate houses. (Brussels has nearly 200, I believe.)
The other food question to settle up front relates to waffles. There are two competing styles of gaufres: Liège and Bruxelles. It should be easy to tell which of us likes which, because of course we didn't agree. The Liège waffles are smaller and denser, with pockets of pearl sugar. They often can be found with one side dipped in chocolate. The Brussels waffles are lighter and crisper, usually dusted with powdered sugar. Both can be topped with ice cream, hot chocolate sauce, fresh fruit, etc. (Yes, I like Liège and Greg likes Bruxelles.)
But food aside, Brussels is a nice town. It's not just a capital city, it's also the home to the European Union, making it a rather important capital city. It is officially bilingual, Dutch and French, owing to the Flemish and Walloon split of the country (which, by the way, has resulted in the country being currently unable to form a government, rather interestingly). I've mentioned before how I admire the bilingualism of Europe; most folks here are at least trilingual. I wish!

Just an example of how all signs are handled in a bilingual culture. This is for the museum of art and history.
One thing I did find disturbing was the manner of blockade. We were rerouted one day because of something happening by the EU buildings. But I found it distressing that all the roadblocks we saw--even though the police were very helpful and pleasant--were full of this razor wire.

Like all old European capitals (or so it seems), there is a lovely town square that serves as meeting space, activity center, and tourist destination. These couple of images are from Brussels' Grand Place/Grote Markt.

Even though construction is underway, I appreciated the coverings to show what the building is supposed to be. Because of the construction, we couldn't get our good luck by touching the bronze arm of the statue commemorating the man who was reportedly murdered defending Brussels in the 14th century.

These are houses that once represented the different trade guilds of Belgium.

Spires of the old residence of the Spanish monarchs, now home to the Musée de la Ville. We did not go to see the 650 outfits of the Manneken Pis.

I'm not sure of all the varying purposes, but I liked very much the door within a door within a door.
On a walking tour we took, we found this rare section of the old walls that defended Brussels in the 12th century. This small piece is known as the Tour Noire (Black Tower).

Yes, just leave it there and build around it....
Too much to see, but we had another day....
No comments:
Post a Comment