Sunday, December 21, 2008

Headed Home

I'm back in Hanoi. Seven classmates stayed behind in Hoi An, staying either for a day or two longer, or for up to three weeks more of SE Asian travels. One lives in Hanoi, and one left early this morning. I've just seen Amar off too, so am now alone; a rather tough end to such an intense nearly three weeks. My flight isn't until late tonight, so I'm trying to take advantage of having good internet access at this hotel, to catch up a bit. Then I'll go wander for a while, then return to the hotel to repack, have a workout, and shower. Then I'll start the long trip back.

Here's one more posting before I go. I can't even begin to articulate the experience, and hope that by the time I see/talk to you all, I'll have some words. Vietnam itself, the work that is happening here, my mentor and professor, my classmates--I've learned so much and can only hope that I've grown as a person as much as I think I have.

I'll spend some time in January doing more posts, to give a fuller sense of the beauty of the country and the intensity of the course and my experience here. In the meantime, Happy Holidays!



A lantern shop along the street. You can watch the people cutting the silk and making them. Everything is custom made in Hoi An. We all had suits, dresses, and tops made to measure.


The Japanese Covered Bridge, linking the Chinese and Japanese streets in Hoi An. The Japanese story of the bridge is a wonderful parable about hegemonic control.


Condiments from Ms. Vy’s cooking class. We all made fresh spring rolls and had a glorious meal, then received all the recipes!


My Son, which is also a World Heritage Area. Sadly, the site was very heavily bombed during the Vietnam-American War, and much of it was destroyed. These buildings are mostly from the 8th-14th centuries.


Mother-in-law and daughter-in-law keep traditional pottery making alive in the ceramic village.


Amar tells the history of the ceramic village and its preservation and role in sustainable cultural heritage. We also visited the wood carving village and the fishing village.


Rowing a coracle.


A fisherman shows us first how to throw a net, then his day’s catch.

No comments: