Thursday, July 9, 2009

Ah, Brisbane

I must say, it is truly lovely here. Everyone is so friendly, and so polite. Even when people can’t help, or it’s not what you want, they are just so nice. It’s really truly lovely.

My school meetings went well—I actually have another, a follow-up, the end of the month. I’ve got some negotiating to do now, and will get a chance to speak with my advisor after the conference is ended.

The conference is going well. Both of my presentations were yesterday. We’ve actually heard a number of really great comments about the first one, with my colleague from the museum, about one of the projects that I used to run. I had proposed it because I thought it was an interesting project that would really resonate with people here, an idea that many museums don’t think about, and that seems to be exactly the case. (I guess now I just have to remember to tout this in my end-of-year performance appraisal.) The second with my colleague from Australia was also well received. And, we’re just meeting so many terrific people. I’ve now got more friends in Australia, these in Melbourne. Of my Vietnam friends, I’ve already seen Rae a bit, and will see Joycelin tomorrow, maybe Joyce too. Thu Huong didn’t make the conference, but will be here later in the month, and I’ll see her then. But, all is really good.

I’ve also learned more about some of the places we’re headed next week. The community of Wujal Wujal is, in fact, where the rainforest meets the sea. Two spectacular world heritage areas (Queensland rainforest and Great Barrier Reef) in one place; I can’t believe I’m going there! And the company on that trip is amazing. I already know or have met all the people, and I am looking forward to such a fantastic time: my colleague, my advisor, the president of ICOM, the director-general of ICOM, the State Librarian, my Australian friend and colleague, etc. It’s going to be terrific!

But before I forget, some ephemera. For you Harry Potter fans, I knew all would be well when I hit my dorm room—the girl whose room it is during session is named Fleur. Shannon and I saw a little possum on our walk home from dinner the other night and it was absolutely the most adorable creature I may ever have seen, even if s/he wouldn’t pose for a photo. I find it utterly amusing that the nuisance birds here (unlike our pigeons) are wild turkey and ibis. And tomorrow evening is the Ball! I’ll try to get some photos up from that on Saturday, before we pack up and take off for the north.



Wild turkeys like this one, and wild ibis, are our pigeons on the university's campus.


Downtown Brisbane.


One of the kids' text panels in the aboriginal gallery section of the Queensland Museum.


A neat art installation of a dragonfly wing down in the museum complex.


I understand that the A$15 for this ride is worth it, as the cars are individually climate-controlled and it provides amazing views of the city. Maybe when Greg gets here.

No comments: