Friday, January 29, 2010

Florida, part two: Amelia Island

As good as it was to see the family, especially aunts and uncles not seen very often, we also really needed a break, especially Greg. So we'd made arrangements to spend three days at a B&B on Amelia Island before returning to life.


This was our inn. It was lovely, and the innkeepers were wonderful. We also liked the surrounding buildings, both of which look like inns but were really private homes. Imagine! One is concrete and oyster shell, the other has these beautiful whimsical carousel horses.




Ah, the south. I can't make this stuff up.


Fernandina Beach is actually a huge port. There is still a great deal of logging and paper making, and that's mostly what gets shipped from here.


Fishing and boating is also a big industry. This shark is fake, but is an advertisement for fishing. There are a ton of brown pelicans that make their home along the marina docks.


We did a wonderful walking tour around the town, but it's mostly historic homes. Of course, historic here means mid-/late-1800s. This isn't historic compared to where I grew up in Connecticut, where I work, or many places I've been, but the buildings were interesting.


There are lots of history markers around the town. Here, Greg poses with Peg Leg.



Most of the houses are Victorians, which means they have all kinds of "gingerbread" or decorative elements on them. To me, they just look incredibly silly and fake, but there is great pride in maintaining them.

There's also a really good little history museum in Fernandina Beach. We happened to catch a tour, then wandered some more on our own.


The main room, which largely discusses the founding of the town, its role in fishing (especially shrimping) and shipping, the profound history of African Americans in the area, and the early Native American influence. Below, the newly recreated jail. The museum is actually in the old jail.



These two photos are from the section related to the original inhabitants, known as the Temucuan peoples.



The island history is fascinating and highlights the very unusual fact that in its relatively brief history, Amelia Island lived under eight different flags, including Spanish, English, patriot, Confederate, etc.

Our last morning we went to the State Park on the island, which is dedicated to the marshes and coastline of this barrier island. It's an important bird area, has lots of fishing, and is a popular campground.


As we walked along the trail, I heard a rustling and stopped to investigate. I was rewarded by this adorable nine-banded armadillo, which just kept on his rounds and ignored me completely.

The morning became foggy and here's part two of the troubles with the camera. I've really had to work at these to get anything even slightly reasonable to post; many are just completely whited out. So I won't be able to show how amazing the shells on the beach were -- honestly, bigger, more, more complete, more varied shells than I've ever seen before on a beach -- or how beautiful it was. But hopefully it's a taste.


These are the dunes. As you can see, the sky is washed out from the fog.


Greg, along the water line.


Lots of birds, including some cheeky little birds in the plover family, and several species of gulls.



I've never before seen a jellyfish, in the water or on the beach. This one was quite large, very red, and so beautiful. I'm so sorry that the pictures don't do it justice.

It wasn't enough time, but we ate incredibly well (there are some wonderful restaurants in Fernandina Beach), and it was relaxing and recharging.

No comments: