Friday, January 29, 2010

Florida, part one: Gainesville

Greg's brother's wedding was January 16. Since we couldn't make the trip to Florida twice in three weeks, we got to stay in Washington for Christmas and enjoy all the snow (16"!!). It also meant that we'd be able to celebrate Kati's birthday while in Florida too, as well as some leftover Christmas. So we headed south for 10 days, including three days of R&R at the end.


Yes, the manatee is one of Florida's symbols. These pretty hedges were outside a local bank.

We only took the small camera, and as you'll see throughout these two posts, it gave some trouble. As a result, we have next to no pictures of the wedding. This little phd camera, while a good little camera, doesn't much like inside or fog. Since it poured the day of the wedding, we had the indoor troubles.


Greg managed this somewhat reasonable photo of the bridesmaids. Sister Kati is on the left.

This picture was taken by their cousin David, and is the only photo I've seen so far that has either me or Greg in it. In front of me are Dad and his sister Jane. To my right is Jorge, an old family friend, and the owner of Emiliano's, one of my favorite restaurants.

One of the places I really wanted to visit this time was Payne's Prairie, one of the State Parks and in Gainesville. Greg's been saying for years that we'd go, do some hiking, see the buffalo herd. But I learned that they had cranes, so I was insistent this time! I love cranes. Why? Who knows. But I can stand for an hour at the National Zoo and look at them, and I really wanted to see them in the wild. And a sandhill migratory group calls Payne's Prairie home this time of year, so Greg and Kati gamely agreed to join me.


We had to wait for them to come open the gate. I was convinced we'd miss the cranes!


The prairie.


Spanish moss hangs from all kinds of trees all over this part of Florida.



Yes, my penchant for signs. I thought these were fun.



Greg and Kati walking on the trail.


Beautiful herons. It was amazing to see them this close!



We're almost to the lake. Lots of egrets and small blue herons.


And yes, cranes! We had binoculars, and you could really see the red crown patches. And they're so big! The zoom on the little camera just doesn't do it, but I had to try. Dozens of sandhills. I was so happy!


And then we started back to the car. Of course, what does everyone seem to think about Florida? Yes, alligators.


I'm not a fan, but since these stayed in the water away from me on the path, it was OK.

No comments: