Long story short, my job changed, and with it, my travel schedule. Different museum priorities and a serious lack of resources. Add to that a huge project that has kept me grounded while trying to wrangle it into order and deal with fiscal year deadlines. But things are moving forward and the fiscal year is nearing its close, so I'm taking advantage of that and the approval of my leave and heading out. Where you might ask? Well, do you remember this image?

Yes, I'm going to Ecuador!
Long story #2 short: I can't return to Spain next April as I'd planned, since my team and I will be in the final throes of preparing this new activity space next April. So my colleague suggested Ecuador as a good place to study Spanish. Oddly, everything has worked out -- timing, tickets, mileage -- and it's much cheaper than Spain. So on Friday, off I go!
I'll start in Quito. Through the school I'll do some cultural programs -- one-on-one intensive study, but with field trips every afternoon to help me get to know the city and country and boost my vocabulary. Since this is also my field, that should help immensely. The school also has numerous travel programs, where that same learning style continues, just in other locales. So I want to do at least one, and perhaps two. But which to choose? High Andes, including the famed Otavalo market? Along the southern coast, including the island known as the poor man's Galápagos? Down to lovely Cuenca, another World Heritage City which I never did get to know my last trip, but where two friends live? Oh, the decisions!
I'll try to post something every couple of days, just so everyone knows all is well, and I'll fill it in once I get back. A whole month! Goodness, I hope that helps me to relax and get ready for the craziness ahead!! A whole month! I really can't believe it. I just know that it will fly by. Well, un buen viaje to me, and ¡hasta pronto!
No comments:
Post a Comment