Thursday, September 30, 2010

Drat - still no photos. But excitement!

So my class started this morning with a protest down the street, and which led to a long discussion about the government of Ecuador and the law that the Assembly passed yesterday. Based on what I´ve been reading tonight, I did get it.

In short, certain benefits for the police will change, and so they are not happy. The problem is that they control a lot of the security in the cities, including banks, restaurants, etc. So it´s been an interesting day. School went on as usual, but my afternoon cultural program was canceled, because it was in the historic center which was all blockaded, and we´ll hope to have it tomorrow. We were instructed to stay around the school and in the tourist part of town, and to head ¨home¨ early. So I bought water and yogurt and chocolate, and I have plenty of homework to do. We´ll see where things are in the morning. It´s definitely a government thing, not a population thing, but it certainly has its impacts on the population.

So in the meantime, a break from my studies; I thought I´d get a few photos up from the first week, but the system just won´t load them! :( I´ll try again from the school tomorrow or over the weekend. ¡Lo siento!

No comments: