Sunday, December 12, 2010

Infinity of Nations

I love that my job lets me travel to NYC with some regularity. We recently opened a new exhibition at the museum in NY, and it's absolutely stunning! A ten-year retrospective of the incredible collection that is the base for the museum, it's in the long gallery. Tall glass cases help highlight some of the most remarkable art and culture of the indigenous peoples of the Western Hemisphere. The collection spans more than 1,000 independent cultures and more than 10,000 years of history; a bit of it all is on display now. I'm glad it's up for 10 years -- I definitely need more time!!


The beginning shows an assortment of headgear, from southern feather headdresses to northern fishing hats.


We start in the south with objects from South America, mostly from the Andean region.



Yeah, fish objects! The lower one is a gourd. Gorgeous!



These two pieces are Shuar, from Ecuador. I took several snaps of the Shuar pieces for my friends.



These too!


I really liked the maps and the way the text not only discussed the history and contemporary range of communities, but also recounted the history of the collection from the region. It made it more personal, and also talked about how collecting has changed and some of the work we're doing now to make reparations.


Mesoamerican collections.



Moving into the States.... Plains objects.



A box that is likely very similar to those my Mikmaq ancestors would have made.


North Pacific Coast materials. Blow is a cribbage board carved of walrus ivory.



GORGEOUS coats and blankets.



Traditional style, modern materials -- so fun! And a long view down the gallery.

No comments: