Saturday, April 2, 2011

Spring and Dance

This not traveling thing is old!

I admit, it's really hard to be on the road all the time. Living out of a suitcase, never knowing what timezone you're in, stumbling through airports -- it's not fun. But the travel bug bites hard, and I am having a really hard time NOT going anywhere.

Maybe I'll get to take a break in late May or early June. But even if the timing of my project allows it, it won't be for long. More than likely, it will be late fall before I can really take a break. At least this project is interesting.

In the meantime, I'm trying to find ways to divert myself. Spring is coming! It felt like it last week, but not at all this past week. Brrr! These photos were from our 70-degree week. Flowers all over town are struggling on, looking like they're shivering in the 40-degree winds and icy rain. I hope that maybe in two weeks the tulips will come out, and I can get over to the National Tulip Library -- that will soothe my soul for a bit!!


Tiny crocus -- the first signs of spring!


Cherry trees! No question, the sign of spring in Washington. The tidal basin area is gorgeous. but luckily, for those of us who live here, there are cherry trees all over this city, and we don't have to fight the tourists in order to appreciate their beauty and enjoy the benefits of their glory.



Daffodils are the other sure sign of spring, along with hyacinth. Oh the heady fragrance of hyacinth! You don't even have to see them to know they are around. And daffodils are so cheering with their bright yellow frilly heads.


This lovely little weeping cherry is outside my building. We've been re-landscaping, so there are three of these young trees now. Daffodils are also up, and holding on in this winter resurgence. Tulip leaves are up, but those buds have opted to wait a bit. Don't blame them.... But I do love weeping cherries.

In addition to spring flower smelling, to try to break the routine and stress of the office, I'm keeping a busy exercise schedule. When the weather's good, on the alternate Fridays that I work, I can walk to the office. It's just about four miles, and the city is just waking up at that time of the morning, so it's really nice in the early light. Starting next weekend, my friend's new Jazzercise studio will be open, so I'll be able to take class there on my alternate Friday mornings that I'm off, and some on weekends too. That will fit nicely with my Monday-Wednesday-Thursday Jazzercise schedule, which I do directly after work. Those same nights, after Jazzercise, I'm also doing some personal training with weights and interval work, trying to break this plateau. I'm doing some yoga on the weekends, trying to keep my head on straight. And I had to give up Jazzercise on Tuesdays, for now, because I'm taking salsa!

Yes, we've been talking about this for a year and it's finally happening! Greg and I were at dinner with our friends Lisa and William last year during the Olympics. Ice dancing had been on, which led us into a discussion on dance. Greg has zero interest. Lisa might have even less. But William and I really like it. So Greg and Lisa decided that William and I should go together and leave them out of it. So, a year later, we've been able to make it work. Beginner Salsa, Tuesday nights, at the amazing Glen Echo Spanish Ballroom.


Glen Echo Park is just outside DC in Maryland. It was an amusement park, now is on the register of historic places, and does a lot of art and dance classes. The National Park Service administers it, and it is gorgeous.



Built in the 1920s, it's wonderfully Art Deco. Below, the old bumper cars space!



Outside of the Spanish ballroom.



The beautiful interior of the Spanish ballroom. It doesn't make me dance any better, but it is a lovely and inspiring space.


Next week on my off day I'm headed to Fredericksburg VA to visit with some girlfriends. And I'm off to CT the weekend after to see the parents. I should be headed to NY soon too, but until Congress gets around to passing a budget..... That's another story. I've a couple of plans in mind, and hope to know better the end of this month what will be possible with my schedule. Stay tuned!

No comments: