Outside my house: a weeping cherry and some tulips. Sadly, both are gone now, replaced by azaleas and non-flowering shrubs.
However, each year in Washington there is a partnership exhibition between the National Museum of Natural History and the National Botanical Gardens, and this year's show was at Natural History. It took me forever to get there, but I finally did, the week before it closed. Goodness, how I love orchids!
SO much beauty! Below, cymbidiums, among my all-time favorites.
Showy cattleyas, and some sunny oh, maybe dendrobiums.
LOVE this quote. Vanda maybe? Wow, I'm out of practice.
Then, on my birthday, I finally got to the rooftop bar at the W hotel, which is supposed to have one of the best views of the city. I didn't feel like paying $15 for a basic cocktail, however great the reputed view, birthday or no. Well, not reputed, it really is pretty spectacular.
Yes, the Washington Monument is among the easy sites.
Then I was finally off to NY. It took Congress forever to pass the 2011 budget, but once done, it meant that I could get back to NYC to visit with my group there. It was a fabulous three days! I stuck around for an evening to see a show and catch up with some friends. So worth it!!
An INCREDIBLE show at the museum just now! What he can do with glass, it's just spectacular.
One afternoon after work I decided to walk because it was so lovely. It's a couple of miles, about four, from the end of Manhattan to Times Square, where I was staying this time. Stunning evening, and such a great way to see the city. I love these two buildings, side by side. The one above actually reminds me a lot of Barcelona.
This is where I turned off from the west side back toward the middle. I haven't been to the Intrepid since I was a kid, and I do want to go back! Maybe next trip.....
But I did finally get to see a show, and I chose Wicked. I've been wanting to see it for years. I didn't get the $26 lottery tickets, but it was really worth it. In fact, it's traveling to DC this summer and I would absolutely go again.
Incredible set, amazing talent-- so much fun!
While there's never enough time, it was a welcome break. And I'm so ready for another! The office is a nightmare just now, and it's taking a toll on me. One more month, then I will have an official break. I'm taking a week off, in celebration of my big birthday, and going to Vermont to stay on a bed-and-breakfast farm. I can't wait to have maple breakfasts, wander small New England towns, drive country roads, hike in the woods, and do farm chores. Yes, I want to feed chickens, garden, and learn to milk a cow. I can't wait, either for the break or for the experience. And once this project is done, I am taking a real break, and disappearing for an extended period of time. And I seriously hope that I'll be able to get back to international work then. The kids things has been fun, maybe, but it's definitely not my passion. However, soon the farm!
No comments:
Post a Comment