Monday, February 13, 2012

Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens

It's true, I've been very negligent with the blog. Sometimes life intervenes, though. I've finally managed to move the administrative end, so here's the test. Although, this won't solve everything; I'll lose all the images from several years of work if I delete the old account. Well, things to ponder.


In any case, last summer, we finally made it to Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens. It's part of the National Park system, located in northeast Washington. And, I finally figured out that we could get there by metro. It was a lovely day, and we had no other plans, so off we went. And it's fabulous!


Seed pods. I did write down all these flowers somewhere.....

 Ever hungry ducks, looking for tasty finds in the cattails.

 Beautiful plants, even at end of summer. These ponds are such a unique and interesting ecosystem.

 Amazing purple lotus flowers.

 Turtles, catching some late summer rays.

 How about these ginormous lily pads?!

 More lovely flowers. Really, for September, this was remarkable.

 Cattails. And no Miss Bree to give lessons to.

 A little tough to see, but a blue heron! And on a bridge, a praying mantis. Really, a stellar outing.

And while we didn't see the beavers, they clearly had been hard at work.

Hopefully I'll catch up soon on Arizona, which was my fall trip, and then the Superbowl parade in NY. I know I've got Boston coming up this spring with the leadership program, and I'm off to the Galápagos in July.....

No comments: