Well, I'm very behind on blog posts! While I haven't been traveling much, there is still a great deal going on. (And travel is coming -- great travel!)
Earlier this year at the museum, we unveiled a new totem pole, built for us by the Boxleys of Alaska, and finished on-site by David Sr. and David Jr. Then, members of their dance group joined them to unveil the pole and dedicate it to the museum. The Secretary of the Smithsonian was there as well -- this was a big event.
The large cedar box drum. These are so beautiful and so amazing, with a wonderful rich tone.
Pacific Northwest art is striking. I love this banner.
Several of the drums and masks.
The Secretary opens the curtain....
and reveals the pole!
Dedication. And the pole - gorgeous!
And then the dances, to celebrate and honor. Abalone, button blankets, transformation masks, beautiful songs and dances. The Git Hoan dancers held the huge crowd -- lined up along all the overhangs too -- spellbound.
I've got a few posts to catch up on over the next couple of weeks. By then I'll know if Ecuador is my next trip, in July, or if I have an amazing adventure also in May/June. Stay tuned!














No comments:
Post a Comment