Sunday, May 20, 2012

DISCOVERY!!!

I grew up with the space shuttle program. In fact, I remember the Challenger explosion vividly; like the Kennedy assassination was for my parents, Challenger is my generation's unifying touchstone (at least, until 9/11). But I was sitting in my chair in freshman science, just after lunch, waiting to begin our mid-year exam, when the news came over the school's speaker system. 

As the papers reminded us recently, one of the most celebrated successes of the U.S. space program was the shuttle, and in particular, the shuttle Discovery. After every problem or disaster (Columbia sadly joins Challenger on that list), Discovery was there to right the program and restore faith in our science. 

Then came the decision to end the shuttle program. I really don't understand that. But with that decision came the revelation that Discovery would be retired to the National Air & Space Museum. More, that it would have a celebratory fly-by over downtown Washington before it came to rest at its new home near Dulles. Needless to say, I (and nearly all employees working in the area) blocked the time on my calendar.

 On the terrace at the museum, we museum staff can see Discovery coming in from the west. 

 We had incredible weather for this celebration! And the pilots of the special 747 that carried Discovery didn't disappoint. This first pass came along the south side of the National Mall, across the Capitol grounds, and then along the north side of the Mall.



 Amazingly, Discovery came back again for another pass! I only had my phone with me, but you can at least see Discovery riding piggy-back. If you look closely at these photos, you'll also see the lone fighter jet escort that accompanied her just behind.



 And unbelievably, a third pass! This one sounded like it came right over the back of the museum. It didn't, of course, but how fun to see the shuttle and our iconic building together. 


Some of my colleagues who had real cameras with big lenses caught incredible photos of the shuttle! The tail of the 747 had a NASA logo, and the detail on the shuttle in their photos is remarkable. I've not yet been to the Udvar Hazy Center of the Air & Space Museum, but I'm looking forward to getting over there now to see Discovery. While I'm sorry the program has ended, I'm so excited to have seen this little piece of history. All across SI, staff were buzzing. And all around Washington too! My colleagues in other agencies were equally excited and awe-struck. What I found most interesting that morning was the intense sense of pride and inspiration I felt as she flew by on her final victory lap. How remarkable!

No comments: