Sunday, December 9, 2012

Québec

Graduation is Wednesday. I will miss seeing my classmates regularly, but I am looking forward to reclaiming my schedule and my life. Work is exploding, opportunities for 2013 abound, and life is good. 

One good thing: field work. In October I headed north for the second convening of the cohort of the five-year First Nations project, with two communities in Québec province. I opted to go up early and spend a little time in Québec City before the drive north, as I hadn't really had the chance to see the city before. (Full disclosure: I've been twice before, once as a teenager on a French club trip and a few years ago for a conference. I don't remember the first and we didn't get to explore on the second.)

Unfortunately, we were in the midst of management project deadlines. I volunteered to draft the report, figuring that I could do this before the meeting started, and then, if I didn't have good internet where we were staying, it would be OK. Since it was fall, evenings were dark and cold, and traveling solo meant that these were good times to write and work. Between two evenings and two mornings, I pretty much got it done.

But in the meantime, I wandered, explored, tried new restaurants, hiked around the city with a friend and colleague from British Columbia, etc. It was a lovely couple of days, a good recharge period despite the work, and definitely a welcome change of scene. While I could understand nearly all the French, I couldn't speak it -- it all came out in Spanish. The first time I tried it came out, "Oui, por favor." Funny and embarrassing both. After that, I managed to apologize in French and tell them that I understood but couldn't speak, I was too rusty. That worked well and I think earned a bit of respect. People were always wonderfully friendly regardless.

Oh, and the meeting was also productive, much more so this year. So a few photos to share the journey. 

 Right outside the hotel was this public ice rink. How cool is that?!
 Looking down on the funicular, connecting to the oldest part of the town.
 Looking across the St. Lawrence. It's a big part of the city, both its history and its identity.
 I'm doing this looking from the plaza in front of the Chateau Frontenac, one of the storied and historic hotels. It's now a Fairmont, and really is quite lovely.
 Incredible samurai exhibit at the Musée de la civilisation.
 Near as I could tell, it was from the collection of one couple. Amazing!
 Same museum, in the gallery about the aboriginal peoples of Québec. This is a birchbark house.
 In the oldest part, looking at the historic merchant buildings. Lovely old architecture.
This is a trompe l'oeil -- it's a painting on the (very flat) side of a building. There were a couple in the old town, each one remarkable. 
Porte St. Jean, the gate I normally walked through. My hotel was just outside the historic district. 
Christmas was early at the Chateau! They had already decorated the lobby in holiday splendor. 
We've arrived! The drive was dark, so we couldn't see much besides trees on the side of the road and blowing snow on the highway. The ride back would reveal the absolutely stunning landscape of the region. Our hotel was in Roberval, along Lac St. Jean. This was the view from our window in the morning. 
The school has a language immersion program. It was fabulous to see all the Innu language! 
I think I would have been expelled if I'd painted my locker like this! So much talent and creativity.
Yes, the school has a hockey rink. Actually, it's the community's. But the school links in with the community gym and rink, the health center, social services, .... It's fantastic. 
Traditional symbols decorate the sides of the cultural center. Some of these are still in use today in basketmaking. 
Yup, a beaver. This is the entry to the meeting, held at the Musée amerindien de Mashteuiatsh.

No comments: