In the meantime, one of my girlfriends had Galápagos on her bucket list, and she and her boyfriend (now husband) went last year. They took the National Geographic/Lindblad Expeditions trip -- widely regarded as one of the absolute best -- and raved. I became more determined.
I planned my return trip to Ecuador three times. Three times I had to cancel it because of the shifting deadlines for my major project. Complicating matters, last fall I got some news that perhaps I shouldn't be considering a big expensive trip for a little while. I was crushed.
Then, in mid-December, I received an email from my contact at the Smithsonian Journeys office, the group that does Smithsonian-sponsored educational study tours, and for which I've been the Smithsonian representative (something between an ambassador and a logistics coordinator) about a dozen times. That email: Was I interested in handling the July 2012 tour to the Galápagos? I was sitting in a hotel in Ottawa, and wasted absolutely no time in responding YES!
So that's how I found myself magically transported in July. Since the calendar showed two weeks between the end date of the trip and the next convening of the leadership program (I got the news on that the following week), I arranged to stay in Ecuador, which then turned into Ecuador and Peru, which then became just Ecuador, as you already know.
The Galápagos. Day one is in the middle: Baltra and North Seymour. Day two took us west, to Bartolomé and Rábida. Day three we went all the way west to Isabela and Fernandina. Day four was still on Isabela. Day five, we headed back up and east to Santiago. Day six was south and east to Santa Cruz. And Day seven was all the way east to San Cristóbal, from where we departed the next morning.
About half the group was Smithsonian, half from NG/LE. Most folks were from the U.S., but there were a few from Canada and from Australia. There were several families on the boat, which was great fun.
The crew was incredible, the guides fabulous, the tour operators exemplary. Like all Smithsonian trips, I learn a ton. I also meet fantastic people, and even though I'm part of the tour staff (not a fellow participant), I still keep in touch with some of them. However, I'm afraid that I'm now spoiled when it comes to being the tour rep. This was far and away the easiest trip I have ever done for Smithsonian. And I know the islands worked their enchantments on me and I can't wait to get back. Looks like my first plan is failing, but never fear, I'll find another.

No comments:
Post a Comment