Right at the new year, I got my favorite type of email: a request from the Journeys office to help them cover a trip. Lucky me, this one was another international cruise. Even better -- it hit my trifecta: history & culture, exploring a new region, and outdoor adventure.
I was off to Belize.
I flew to Belize City, only a two-hour flight from Miami. The day proved warm -- mid 80s. Considering that I called my mom from the airport in Miami, where CNN was featuring my hometown as the epicenter of the blizzard, with 38" of snow, it could have been worse. (Of course, I love snow and she hates it, but sleeping on a boat, hiking through rain forests, and snorkeling coral reefs was not her idea of fun.) Surprisingly, all passengers traveling from the north made the embarkation. We were off!
My group this time for Smithsonian was rather small -- 10 in total. But this was lovely for me -- fewer to keep track of and greater opportunity to spend quality time with everyone. I've been lucky overall and had some great groups. This one was fabulous.
The M/V Yorktown is an older ship, having spent many years in Alaska and the Great Lakes. One couple on the boat had been aboard this ship three times; another, five! She had her challenges, but her crew and the tour staff were incredible. I looked forward to a grand week away. I'm glad to say, despite the challenges, I got it. I know I really needed a good break just then, but that alone wasn't sufficient. I really had a wonderful time.
So, on to the show.
Getting ready for the Captain's welcome dinner, I watched the sun set from my cabin window.
Lodging aboard ships and trains tends to be compact, but I like it. Of course, I didn't have to share my room, so that makes it more bearable too. Really what I love is sleeping on boats and trains -- I just find the motion so soothing.
Next morning, right out my window, a reminder that what comes on the ship must go off too! But why not paint the sewage truck a cheery yellow? We were underway.




No comments:
Post a Comment