Sunday, June 9, 2013

Out and Around in NYC

And finally. The last post from my birthday weekend away. Sad how quickly the time passes. The month in between has been a nightmare, but each new day is one day closer to a solution. And closer to my next trip! Indeed, I'm off to South America again -- this time for work: Peru, Ecuador, and Colombia. And, if things can align in this next week, some vacation in Ecuador too. Woohoo! But first.....

Arriving in the city I made my way to the Tenement Museum, to visit there with a friend from the NYC offices. She hadn't been, and I love that museum -- I think they have some similar goals to our own related to personal learning and interpretation, and I wanted her to see it. We had a blast!

Then, it was up to the hotel to check in. And ice my knees. Something very strange had happened to them overnight and I was in lots of pain. But, I had an outdoor-walking weekend planned, so Advil and ice it was. I then headed out to meet another friend for dinner. I headed west on 57th, and found this in front of me.

 Yes, really! An Alexander Calder. Just there on the street corner. I love NY.

After dinner at Eataly, we wandered across the street to the park. There was a fabulous art installation there, and stunning tulips. I only had the camera phone with me, so the photos aren't so good. But what a great first day!

 Three giant sculptures, each made of rope, knitted in some way. One red, one blue, one yellow. Each twisting along the ground, around the trees, like beings coming out of the earth. Very cool.

Day two was the Botanical Gardens, and the Manolo Valdés sculptures. Then lunch on Arthur Avenue, then back to the hotel. More ice. But then I headed out for a show. I saw The Perfect Crime. Very small theater, nice little show. It didn't wow me, but it was good to get out and do that. I then walked back to the hotel, cutting by Rockefeller Plaza, where this installation was in place.

 Yup, giant inukshuk. They traditionally are sentries and wayfinders, often in the Arctic. These sculptures are made from bluestone from Pennsylvania, and are nearly 20-feet in height. I understand they weigh close to 30,000 lbs each. Why a Swiss gentleman is making giant inukshuk in Rockefeller Center I did not get.

And I walked by Tiffany's too. Someday I'll actually go in there. (Yes, sad, but true.) The windows were all done up in Gatsby style, as they did the jewelry for the movie. I hadn't seen the movie yet, but since I've long been convinced that the 1920s would have been a good era for me, I moved it to the top of my mental "to do" list.

Day three was Central Park. On my way, I encountered more fun public sculpture. 

 A skyscraper trying to eat its top? That's what I got out of it.....

After an eight-hour day at the park, and brunch with a friend, I headed back to the hotel. I didn't remember this hotel when I booked it, but as soon as I saw it, I knew that I had been there. It's really quite lovely, and I like it rather much. Especially with the new rooftop bar.... That was nice.

 I love the flower theme in the hallways and elevators.


 And the glass! Really fabulous sculptures in the lobbies and common areas. So elegant.

Then, after dinner, I wandered for a bit more, then returned to pack. It had been a perfect getaway weekend. Too bad that serenity only lasted for a day after I got back. But, NYC is close, so it can be done again.


No comments: