Friday, June 7, 2013

Central Park

Ah, Central Park. I was really looking forward to -- really, for the first time -- wandering in the park. Hard to believe I'd never done more than walk along a path for a bit while on my way to somewhere else. Here was my chance to spend a day in the park. And the weather could not have been more accommodating!

One of the many incredible views in the park. I so admire Frederick Law Olmsted!

I started by cutting through the park from my hotel up to my friend's house on the west side. We had a brunch date. After, she and I went back to the park for a walk, and then met her family in the park for a while. 

Ah, we caught a birding group on the way. They were stopped by this lovely red-headed woodpecker.

Then we found -- and climbed -- the Belvedere Castle. What great views!

After they headed home, I stayed in the park. There were so many places to explore! I never even made it up to the north end. Strawberry Fields, the Sheep Meadow, and the Reservoir. The Delacorte Theater and the Boat House. The Shakespeare Theater and the "dramatic rock outcrops." (Loved them!) The Pinetum. It was just great. I spent eight hours wandering the park that Sunday.

 Boats! Oh I wished I had someone to row with!
  
On a path, I think near those great rocks.
 Azaleas in bloom.
The kids had the pond full of the remote-control boats!
So many people out and about -- walking, jogging, cycling, taking horse and buggy rides.
I camped for a bit by the sculpture of Balto, dedicated to the dog teams that helped save Nome. Or so the story goes. But the dog team dedication I like anyway.
 And in part I camped here for some music. Yes, the Andean flute guys are everywhere. 

 Of course, there were tulips, part of the reason for my trip overall.

And once I discovered the waffle cart, wafels & dinges, the trip was complete! Good thing I don't live near there -- we'd have a problem! My new favorite dessert: liège waffle with speculoos. Ummmmm.

Such a fantastic day.









No comments: