Sunday, June 8, 2014

And Tokyo

And we were off on the final leg of our journey. We disembarked in Niigata and took the bus to the train station to pick up the shinkansen, or bullet train. These are standard gauge trains with continuous welded rails. The trains vary in speed, with the fastest traveling about 200 mph. The system is very well known for its punctuality, comfort, and safety. Despite earthquakes and typhoons, and passengers in the range of 10 billion over nearly 50 years, there has never been a fatality. I'd heard about the wonderful bento box meals that the different stations served, with beautiful carrying containers, each fairly unique to that station; however, it was 10:00 in the morning and we really didn't have time. I'll just have to go back.

 Our train wasn't the fastest, but it was fast. And smooth. And nearly silent. I tried taking some photos from the train but they didn't show much but blur. Here we are in Tokyo; I liked the reflection of the group in the train windows.
And we had a bit of a hike to the buses, across the platforms, through the station, through another part of the station, down the street, ....

Our first stop was lunch in a famous neighborhood of the city. We went for shabu-shabu, which is where you cook your own meat and vegetables in a boiling broth at the table. It was fun, but really warm, and way too much meat and not enough vegetables. Well, not for my liking. Of all the meals on this trip, although I like cooking very much, the two big group lunches where we cooked for ourselves, I give them both a pass.

After lunch, one bus went straight to the hotel for those who wanted to relax. The other two buses brought the group to the river where we had a private tour along the Sumida River. It was a lovely way to see the city and its many bridges, although it would have been nicer if the top of the boat were windows. We did pass the Nishiki fish market, which I'd desperately wanted to visit before the trip; however, the guides were very pessimistic about getting people in to it, and my scheduled flights really didn't allow the chance to try. So, another thing for next time.

After the boat we went to Tokyo Sky Tree, the tallest building in Japan (2,080 feet) and the second tallest tower in the world. The observation desk at 1,148 feet is one of the newest landmarks, and was our destination.

That big silver knob in the middle is the observation deck, providing panoramic views of the city.
I really liked the ceiling tiles in the elevator waiting area.
Just to confirm- heights are not my thing. But this felt like make-believe. If the day had been clearer, we would have seen Mt. Fuji. As it was, we had to selfie ourselves in front of the explanation panel of Mt. Fuji. It's on one of the other host's cameras..... 
But it was a beautiful view.  
  It was also really crowded, so it was hard to get much time right against the glass. Plus, our schedule was really tight, so trying to herd the group along meant no lingering either.
 But then, there is this one section where the floor is glass and you can look straight down.... See, make believe.
 Another sign I liked.
And then, on our way back to the bus, yes! Andean flutes. Honestly, I don't think I've been anywhere that I haven't come across one. Well, maybe Vietnam.
 Finally we arrived back to the hotel, where we had less than an hour to prepare for the final celebratory dinner of the trip. And how sad was that! Because look at this room! Good thing I have a description, because I did not have time to explore it as it deserved. Deluxe Balcony Rooms facing the Imperial Palace gardens. Traditionally made nambu-tekki cast iron tea pots with mashiko-yaki tea cups, all handmade based on pottery styles from 12 centuries ago. 
 Open plan bathrooms with glass partitions and window-side tubs. Amenities by Anne Semonin (Paris) and linens by Imabari. I could have lived in this room but sadly, had less than 12 hours in it. As one of my participants said over dinner, "Now I know how the 1% lives." I don't know that I could have afforded to stay one extra night here, but I so wish I'd been able to try. Wow.
The view from my room. *sigh*

Dinner was exquisite. And it was both fun and bittersweet. Many told me that the trip exceeded their expectations and set a new bar for travel. I have standing invitations to visit several of my group, in California and Canada - so lovely! I hope I can. The tour managers asked us hosts to do some thank yous, and I got elected to do them. However, continuing with our theme, we did them wrong. We were trying to be efficient, but it was awkward to all be there and for me to do all the talking, especially when the other two were more known as performers. Hindsight. Perhaps we should each have done one thank you, or perhaps my co-hosts should have finished off with a happy clap, like we'd learned at Sado Island. Something. But that's what happens when you're put on the spot. 

After dinner and after all the goodbyes, we went out. With both my fellow hosts being singers, or enjoying singing, they'd already decided that we had to do karaoke in Tokyo before leaving Japan. I'd never done it before, although within in the last year, it's come up twice on two of my international trips (with friends in Ecuador and then in Belize). Third time's a charm? Have to start somewhere? I should note that I've been terrified of singing publicly since I was a teenager. And I believe the elders who have told me, "It's not important how well you sing, but that you sing." Still, deep-seated fears don't dissipate easily. But I'd been with these folks for two weeks; I enjoyed their company, and I trusted them. And I'd listened to them sing every evening for more than a week. 

And so I did it. Now, they sang with me, and, I think, mostly drowned me out. But they didn't laugh (as has happened to a friend of mine) and they didn't run away (as has also happened to others I know). I'm not sure when I'll do it again, but I'm glad they shared that final adventure with me. Oh, and the concierge had set us up at this fancy place, with private rooms, a case of golden microphones, and all kinds of equipment. I never could have imagined.

We got back to the hotel about 2, and Leslie and I had a luggage out call at 5:45. (While 22 participants continued on to the extension, and another 29 were staying in Tokyo on their own, we three hosts all had to get back to work.) When we met for breakfast at 6:15, neither of us had really slept. In fact, I had less than 8 hours combined for the last two nights. Maybe that would let me finally sleep on the plane?

No such luck. Once again, I had trouble with my tickets at the terminal. But then I had plenty of time to shop and finish spending my yen. I bought origami paper to go with the books I'd bought as gifts. I got myself a fabulous belt and a bento box for my lunch bag. I bought sake, the good kind Su had told me about. And then finally it was time to board. I'd heard so much about ANA that I was almost looking forward to it.

But, and it surprises me to say this, my United flight on the way out was actually nicer. These seats were smaller and less comfortable, with considerably less leg room. The movie screens were smaller with fewer options and more difficult to control. Food was better, as I could have Japanese meals. Service was a draw, I would say. I didn't sleep, but I did doze a bit, which is an improvement. But it was a very long 14 hours.

Thankfully, customs and immigration went quickly, luggage arrived fine, and I zipped home in a cab. I got back to my condo about 12:30p. I set the alarm for 3, looking for a short nap, and then wanting to go for a walk and to the grocery. The phone woke me at 7:05. I'd left the setting on AM! But I took care of calling the folks, unpacking, and starting laundry. About 1:30a I went back to bed and woke naturally about 7. I thought I was good! Little did I know, the jet lag did affect me for about 10 days. After the first couple of days, the afternoon drowsiness wasn't really there, but the mornings were impossible to wake on time. That's OK, it was all worth it.

So, when do I get to go back? No idea, but I would like to, and there is so much that I didn't get to do this time! And where's my next trip? For Journeys, I don't know, although I'm hoping I'll have one in the fall. For the office, it's to Peru in a couple of weeks, for media production for the Inka Road exhibition. As far as personal, aside from a trip north to see the family, I'm not sure. Especially if Journeys doesn't send me out this fall, I will need to do something -- I have leave hours that I need to use. And there are a lot of places on my list: San Francisco to see friends, Puerto Rico because a bunch of us girls want to go there, Europe because it's been ages, .... I have some miles saved, which I hope helps, but costs and schedule likely will play a large part. Stay tuned!



No comments: