Matsue is well-known to many foreigners because of Lafcadio Hearn, who wrote many books about Japan in the late 1800s -- but not to me. It's also known as the "City of Water." I knew we were going to a museum with an incredible garden and to a castle. That was good for me.
First, though, we had to clear customs in Japan. Once we got everyone through that, we headed off on our buses for the Adachi Museum of Art. With possibly the premier collection of Yokoyama Taikan's paintings, the museum's founder built the gardens as a way for visitors to reflect on the art and its link to the natural world.
On the way, our guide told us about boys' day and girls' day in Japan, and we discussed politeness, particularly the three different types of bowing. Su-san was full of wonderful stories. I can't wait until she comes to DC in a few weeks! But in the meantime....
Well, the gardens were lovely, no argument on that front.
There were pictures of them in the different seasons, so that visitors could appreciate their planning and diversity.
Beautiful.
Balanced.
A little whimsical.
And meticulously cared for. There are several full-time gardeners.
But, completely off-limits! Except for this little section by the tea house -- which I liked very much, especially the water feature -- one saw the gardens mostly through picture windows.
Thankfully, one of my fellow hosts wasn't far behind me, and he agreed to take some photos for me.
I do love water elements in gardens.
That red maple!
And I do understand wanting to keep the gardens clean and nice. But I just couldn't really enjoy this one as much as I wanted, beautiful though it was.
After lunch we were off to Matsue Castle, built originally in 1611 more as a fortress than a residence. At one time there were a dozen castle-fortresses in Japan; this is the last remaining.
It's a bit of a climb to get to the castle -- about 100 steps from the parking lot to the castle grounds. Some opted instead to hit the shops, where a great paper-purveyor had a place. I had to climb, of course, so no lovely Japanese papers for me.
Wow, those are gables!
Fish on the roof too. How perfect for me.
Inside, there are more stairs, but these are steep staircases, slightly tilted. Which you do in stockinged feet, as it's a no-shoes place. And places for shooting arrows and dropping things onto enemies below. And some exhibits too, but we really didn't have time for exploration. Climb, see the views, take some photos, descend, and get back to the bus. My one complaint with big tours is that my time is not my own. But what views!
Back at the ship, a farewell performance. Reminded me of my old majorette days.
Last lecture of the tour was this evening, this one on the shogun castles. I was still trying to have dinner with all of my participants -- we had a big group and without the formal events, it was proving hard to catch them all! But I was working on it.
Little did most realize but our roughest night of travel was ahead. Most thought the crossing of the Sea of Japan would be rough, but the guides said that the night between Matsue and Kanazawa is always rough. I don't think they said that out loud to many people though. Probably good.
















No comments:
Post a Comment