Our first field trip day was to Pisac, one of the most incredible archaeological sites in the region. Much like Machu Picchu, it has colcas (warehouses), agricultural terraces, and a ceremonial site with an intihuatana (sacred tower). We left at six for what was expected to be a long day.
Sunrise in the mountains is stunning! All those stone buildings are part of the site. And we had it to ourselves.
Agricultural terraces up the side of the mountain. And the switchback road next to it. Beautiful and classic.
Yes, people do still use the road and transport goods manually.
And off goes our production crew: film, panoramic, and 3D scan, with some of our local consultants.
The rest of us made our way back to the van.
I was told to stop for a photo on the way. Good colleagues I have!
We were the designees to visit a traditional community nearby, arranged by the mayor. We saw more terraces on the way. Sadly, it was dry season, but imagine these lush and green.... That channel in the middle is an irrigation channel, cut to allow gravity to bring water naturally to the crops. Brilliant.
Fields of quinoa. So beautiful! I still thought that even after the piece we had in the car with us disgorged little green aphid-like bugs all over my hands and backpack.
My colleague took my camera once we got to the village of Ampay. He's more professional than I, and he took some stunning photos of the elders. I had my phone as a back-up. We visited a senior center, where they do a lot of intergenerational learning with the youth.
The elders were preparing lunch: several types of potatoes, a yellow tuber without starch known as papa lisa, and cuy, or guinea pig. I'm sparing you those photos.
This photo is actually one my colleague took from the back of the truck on our way back down this mountain, but I don't have one like it. Sheep, goats, and cows, all just following the road with their owner trailing behind.
We then got lost, so changed plans and first went back to the archaeological site to collect the rest of the crew. Now it was packed with tourists! But once reunited, we continued on to Chawaytiri, another traditional village.
Cultural continuity is a big theme of the museum, and this village maintains many of the traditions. We documented potatoes and agriculture here, as well as weaving.
I don't think we got quite as much on the process as we'd intended. Lots of photos, but I'm not sure we got someone to explain the dyes, the natural herbs, all the stages, ....
There are ten villages in the region that have formed together into a marvelous cooperative. I visited another one last year. One of the things I liked about this village was the involvement also of the men.
Everything is done by hand, from the shearing and carding and spinning....
to the dyeing and weaving.
Such beauty. Yes, I brought home a souvenir. Of course!
We had a very late lunch, also here, then got back on the road to visit the Pisac Museum before going back to Cusco. This museum is the first indigenous-run museum in Peru, and we'd helped with some technical assistance during their building. There's even a plaque at the entrance noting that!
But the bus back was a quiet one, as it had been a long day. I was grateful, as my stomach bug had returned. Thankfully, tomorrow was Sunday and we had pick-up work in the city scheduled, no field trips. The crews went out and I did office things -- emails, documenting all the purchases thus far and completing the records for the activity centers, downloading and sending photos, fighting the glacial internet, reviewing and writing contracts, etc. And giving up and visiting the pharmacy, where the kind pharmacist gave me drugs -- more of some of what I had and stronger of the other. Honestly, within a couple of hours, I was feeling so much better. Good thing too -- Monday was another field trip with a 6a departure.



















No comments:
Post a Comment