Water management.
One of the things the Inka were really good at -- and that they are really only now getting recognized for it -- is water management. They did build on the work of earlier civilizations. They also innovated. Working with the landscape, using terraces to develop agricultural lands and control erosion. Think about it -- why has Machu Picchu stood on that mountain for 500 years, through floods, earthquakes, and erosion, while other sites have failed? Yes, water management.
So we headed to Tipón, an archaeological site of the Inka (built over an original site of the Chavín, I think), noted as one of the best and most comprehensive sites for demonstrating the Inka's mastery of water and their environment. Channels bring the water great distances. Gravity handles the movement and the flow naturally. Terraces line the area. Hundreds of people once lived here and produced significant crops for the Empire.
We had another beautiful day. With trying to manage my new medications, I had messed up my alarm. We had a 6am departure, and I woke at 5:57 to the sound of my colleagues in the lobby. Running out in my pajamas, I asked for five minutes. Bathroom, teeth brushing, hair combing, makeup, dressing, medications, and grabbing my bag -- good thing I lay things out the evening before with these trips -- and eight minutes later I was in the lobby with the group. Whew! I was not the only one impressed.
And it was worth it. I did the first part of the climb, to the main level, where we did a bunch of documentation. I then volunteered to be the one to watch the gear they did not want to carry to the sacred sites at the top. I was feeling better, but not quite me, so this was a good compromise for everyone. The day was gorgeous, and solitude does not bother me, especially in settings like this.
Right at the entrance, waterfalls.
Climb the hill and turn the corner, and terraces.
And terraces and platforms, revealing themselves as the sun comes up.
Dramatic landscapes as the sun rises and shifts.
Some of the buildings still remain.
The water comes from above and works its way to the this level by gravity and through a series of channels. At this level, it splits into two, then into four. Symbolically, this part is said to represent the teeth of the sacred puma, or the four suyus (regions) of the Empire.
I love these steps! They are all over, between the levels. These were some of the larger ones.
Looking out from one of the levels to the terraces.
I had the site to myself for some time, along with two dogs who decided to hang with me and sleep in the sun. For hours there were no other tourists, and no signs of any of my team.
But the sound of the water was both beautiful and incredibly soothing. It was such a wonderful morning.
Unfortunately, that blue sky is deceptive! I had applied sunscreen that morning and used it throughout the day. I wore my hat. I am careful! But I missed the backs of my hands and my ears, and oh, how painful they were for days!!
Some school children were among the tourists that eventually came. They all wear uniforms, which is not only cute but also practical.
They sat behind me and had a little picnic. Good thing I had some snacks in my bag, to cover me and the 3D team, who were now working on this level. We had two vans this day, but departures got mixed up and it was rather late in the afternoon before most of us headed back to town.
Unfortunately for all of us, the only places to eat between this town and the city were places that specialized in guinea pigs and pork skin. Seriously, it's quite fascinating. Sign after sign for cuyerías and chicharronerías. But everyone thought it a very successful day.
So a very simple dinner for me, and then a few of us stopped to buy snacks for the next day's field trip -- we were learning, albeit slowly. And they set a plan -- if they didn't see me at breakfast by 5:40, they'd come find me! They'd actually noted my absence that morning as unusual. But I expected all to be fine. Our last field trip, to Raqchi, was scheduled and our time was winding down.













No comments:
Post a Comment