Waterfall Alley. That's how the Columbia River Scenic Highway is known. We were doing another driving tour with lots of stops. Hard to believe mom and dad hadn't done this before. What a lucky girl I was! We had another spectacular weather day too. Too bad Kati couldn't get off; that would have made it perfect. If you make it to Portland, get a car and take a day and do this; it's very worth it.
First up, the Portland Women's Forum State Viewpoint. Then this building, basically around the corner, the Crown Point Vista House. The views of the river are stunning! There's a nice photo exhibition here too.
First waterfall we stopped at was Latourell Falls. There are many we missed, either because we couldn't make the long and difficult hikes or just didn't have the time.
Next, the Shepherd's Dell Bridge and its waterfall.
This one had a great path from the roadside down and over to the falls.
So pretty!
Then, Wahkeena Falls. They all sound so different! Assuming you can catch a few minutes of quiet, just you and the waterfall, which you can actually do at many of the smaller falls, and those along just the scenic highway. Here, mom and dad suggested I take the short hike over to the next falls and they'd meet me with the car....
Easier for me! Multnomah Falls is famous, and is also accessible off the highway. With so many kids just going back to school, the falls were packed with families. I decided to hike up to the bridge, since I'd missed doing it when the group I was consulting with back in December 2013 visited here, as the path was too icy.
Once I beat my way through the hordes with their ice cream cones and coffee drinks, the view was fabulous. I didn't have time to hike further, but this was great.
Love this old railroad bridge! Greg would laugh at me and my understanding of space; as a New Englander, distance was measured in hours. Not until I was in northern Colorado and Wyoming did I begin to understand how different the west is. And what distance really means.
And our last fall, Horsetail. I wandered down to the pool where a number of people were playing in the water and taking selfies. It was a lovely spot.
So the highway then ends! And thus we found a brew pub and pulled over for lunch. I couldn't resist this sign: Beer, helping white men dance since 1867. Ha!
Then we crossed the Columbia River over the Bridge of the Gods to transfer to the Washington side and another scenic drive back home.
En route, we stopped at the Bonneville Dam. Incredible!
The turbines inside. Tours were not working for the day, unfortunately.
Our real purpose in stopping, though, was to see the fish ladders, as it's salmon spawning season. Also unfortunately, the underwater windows were closed for renovation. However, it was amazing to stand by the ladders and watch the fish. Most go through tunnels underneath, but we saw dozens negotiating the currents and climbs.
There's one there! I really could have watched this for a long time. Their instincts and drive are remarkably impressive. And the sound of all that water is mesmerizing.
So another good day! We met up with Kati after, and stuffed ourselves on whiskey, wine, and tapas for dinner. Kati and I had done a wine bar the evening before, and we were all planning on Hawaiian the following evening. Always a great dining experience in/around Portland/Vancouver. Plus, wonderful company.
















No comments:
Post a Comment