I woke early, wanting to capture as much time on the ship as I could. Pulling in to Sitka was a great experience to watch. Sitka is Alaska's fourth largest city, at 8,000 people, but it's huge in land area, the largest in the U.S. Luggage was due out when people went to breakfast at 7a and we had to be off the ship by 8:15a.
Pretty harbor, just as the sun was rising. During our trip, the sunrise happened 23 minutes later on the last day than the first, and sunset 15 minutes earlier. Fall was definitely coming.
This section here on the right was what we were pulling up against.
After saying goodbye to the captain and crew and some of the guides, we headed to the Alaska Raptor Rehabilitation Center. What an amazing place! This is Volta, an eagle that can no longer survive in the wild and has become an ambassador for raptors. He's rung the bell on the New York Stock Exchange.
He's beautiful. And I think he knows it.
Not quite an eagle, but six feet is pretty good.
I went a little way on the trail, but I'd had my fill of bears for the week.
There are six types of raptors: eagles, hawks, owls, osprey, falcons, and kites. This snowy owl is another ambassador. She's pretty. Not all the birds are suited to being around people. Funny that. Not all people are either....
This tiny saw-whet owl was inside, at reception. She is adorable!
Then we had free time to explore downtown, including taking a tour of St. Peter's, the Russian Orthodox Cathedral in town and home to the Russian Orthodox Bishopric. I liked the doors to the Native dance hall. There was a performance too, but after we were scheduled to leave. Sitka is also home to a great museum, and I have colleagues who have worked with them, but we didn't have time for that. Sigh.
We had a lot of time at the airport, which I hate. But I had good company, and folks were in good spirits. I had a layover in Seattle, so my cousins had arranged a babysitter and were coming to join me for dinner. I think they were really looking forward to the night out! And I was excited to see them. Interestingly, a number of folks from the tour were at the same hotel; I saw about half a dozen just in the restaurant over dinner. It was so nice how they all came by to say hello/goodbye and chat about the trip one more time.
Sunday was back to DC, where I was greeted by 90+ degrees and high humidity. Yes, I was cranky. Monday I managed to lose myself in Rock Creek Park for almost two hours, in an attempt to have a long walk/hike, avoid the weather a bit, and balm my spirit. The week was rough, not being on a boat looking at beautiful country and incredible wildlife, being trapped in a cubicle without windows, and dealing with the summer-esque temperatures. But I had great memories to help me out. I look forward to hearing what might be next.









No comments:
Post a Comment