Saturday, October 15, 2016

Bratislava and a very long day

We--and several others--were docked in Komárno, Slovakia, east of Bratislava. Just across the river was Komárom, Hungary. Yes, they used to be together. The tour company had managed to secure four buses, three from Hungary and one from Slovakia, to make the excursion to Bratislava. Given the conditions, it's not at all surprising that the hard-developed schedule delivered the evening before had shifted by the next morning. Our guides could not make it to us and ride the buses with us, but the head could get to us in the morning for a scene-setting lecture, then we could meet up with his team in Bratislava. That worked. 

This was also a loss for the ship and crew; not only could they not do some restocking in Bratislava as they would normally, but Bratislava is a big shopping stop for the crew. A few of them were accompanying us in order to get some vitals for folks. But unfortunately the time estimates for the trip were rather off, and that made a mess of the excursions themselves, and completely destroyed the evening schedule, effectively canceling everything but dinner. Worse, news on the lock was not encouraging.

But first, Bratislava is a wonderful town. Another Celtic and Roman town, at one point, for about 250 years, it also was the capital of Hungary. It has been the capital of Slovakia since Slovak independence in 1993. It's not a large city, only about 400,000 people, but it is spectacularly diverse, with a very rich legacy in music, especially classical, stunning architecture, and a multitude of languages and cultures. It also is renowned for its restaurants and blended cuisines. I understand Slovakia makes incredible wines which do not leave the country because consumption in the country is greater than production. I had been for half a day several years ago when in Vienna for a conference, so I was very much looking forward to going back.

There were three tours this day: walking tour and pastry tasting; cradle of classical music; and castle view and beer tasting. I was on the classical music tour. We were very late, but our performers were gracious and well worth the delay. The young lady is a violinist and singer; her father is the lead violinist for the National Theater. Her mother accompanied her on the piano, and I thought overwhelmed her a bit at times. But she was remarkable. I wish it could have been longer, and wondered if it was supposed to be. But it was still amazing.






Then we had a walking tour around the Old Town and St. Michael's Gate (13th century). Unfortunately, I can't even label these photos. I wish I had more to say but trying to keep people together this day was really challenging, especially as the tour groups were mixed and so there were a lot of folks on my bus from the other groups that I didn't know. We lost one from our bus, had one "defect" to another group, found one from another bus, swapped along the way when the groups crossed again in a square.... it was a bit crazy. And because of the schedule, folks had no free time, which only encouraged their itch to do some shopping as they could. Add to it that we couldn't get the counts right and were terrified of leaving someone behind, given the complicated logistics with the buses. (Turns out, I wasn't counting me but the tour director was.) I'm glad I'd been to Bratislava before even though I recognized nothing on this trip, because I sadly feel like I missed the city completely this time. Well, I'll just have to go back.

The tour directors got an update on the way back and broke the news on the buses about the lock and the intention to bus to Vienna the next day. And our bus, for some strange reason, was even later getting back than the others, although two were quick and two were slow. The poor dining team, trying to handle all our staggered arrivals.... Two-thirds of my dinner group was already there when I got in and the last couple was on the other bus, late like ours. But the five at the table, although several courses ahead of us, somehow ended up finishing at the same time, our arrivals made such a mess. But you wouldn't know it from the crew, who just took care of everyone well. But for folks who had been to Vienna before, or who were going back there after the trip, sounded like many of them were thinking of skipping the trip and an even longer bus ride. Not much that can be done, but it's sad. 

As if things weren't already rough, the other host and the tour directors and I met after dinner until about 11.30, making plans for the next day and talking through logistics and options, including potentialities for the following day. And then we got rough news from the home offices. The other host and I left at 2a, and two of the directors and the hotel manager were still working. I didn't get to bed until 4a, and was up again at 6a. Sleep hadn't been great, but for the next three nights, I think I averaged 3-4 hours a night. I don't function well when that happens....


No comments: