Sunday, October 30, 2016

Final Day

I spent the morning of my final day saying goodbye and watching buses depart. I had a little time in the morning with the remaining tour directors (I did not get up for the 3:30a or 5a departures, sorry). The morning was rainy anyway. But everyone got off fine and the weather cleared too. So off I went!

 More exploring. I just love walking and wandering when there is so much to see!
Such beautiful art deco and art neauveau buildings. I finally went to the Mucha Museum; his work really was spectacular. I'm surprised it isn't better known here. 
Public works; a fountain on the arts. I think I mentioned that Prague is a music town.... 
I really needed a few weeks here. 
I also finally got close to the astronomical tower, and finally saw the on-the-hour "show". The trick to getting close is to go about fifteen minutes after the hour, when everyone has moved along.
And I climbed the tower too. It was an easy climb. 
And the views! Down into the plazas, across the beautiful red tile roofs, out across the city.... 
I only wish there were fewer people up top, that was crazy. So I made a loop and called it quits.
Back down on the streets, I kept up my wander, eventually finding another sausage sandwich for lunch because it was so incredibly good and I knew was not something I'd ever eat back home. And on the way I found half of a cello quartet performing on the street. I love cello and bass, so I bought their CD. 
The afternoon cleared up nicely and I just kept finding more lovely buildings 
and seeing other ones in new ways. 
Eventually I headed back, to be sure I was at the hotel when my friends arrived. They were on their own tour, and arriving in Prague from Moscow. I had hired one of those fancy tour cars for us, so they could get an overview of the city before we had dinner. We started at 6:30p so we saw some sunset too. 
Our driver took us to the John Lennon wall. I don't think Lennon was ever here; it was more about the message of peace. I think this wall was outside the German Embassy.

We had a fabulous dinner at the Cafe Imperial, which was at my hotel, but when I'd asked for a recommendation, all four of the tour directors said, virtually at the same time, the hotel restaurant. And it really was excellent. 

They headed off after dinner, and had a few days in Prague to explore and enjoy. I had to pack. The next morning I would have breakfast with the last remaining tour director and then we'd journey together to the airport. I was ready to go home in some ways, and not in others; pretty usual for me. And despite all the challenges of this trip, I still enjoyed it-- amazing places, great experiences, and wonderful people. It had been a while since I'd had a trip like this, and I look forward to the next one.




No comments: