Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Little Bighorn

About once a year I manage a study tour for the Journeys office. These are educational opportunities that combine travel and learning. My groups are generally about 25 people and there is a study leader along too. I handle the logistics and arrangements. If you've been reading, you'll recall my trip in Feb/March to Copper Canyon, and will therefore know that this year I had two trips.

The trip to Little Bighorn actually combines several sites across Montana and Wyoming, covering the Sioux Wars. The people who take it are either American history buffs or fans of the study leader, Ed Bearrs (often, both). Many of you have heard of Ed. He was Chief Historian for the National Park Service for many years, and was a key source in Ken Burns' documentary The Civil War. He is listed as one of America's treasures, and is just amazing.

The trip starts and ends in Billings, Montana, and we spend two nights in Sheridan, Wyoming as well. The participants were terrific, as always. There are always a few things that happen and have to be handled, but thankfully, usually nothing major. I always enjoy the groups--such wonderful people. And it's always a great chance for me to learn more too. Enjoy the small photo essay!


Thankfully, the park is no longer called Custer Battlefield (it's now Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument). But this map does a reasonable job of showing the layout of the land, where the Indian camps were located, and how the Army came upon them. The site is named for the Little Bighorn River.


Ah, Montana in August. Yes, it was HOT. Nearly every day, the bunnies took refuge under our picnic tables. In fact, the sun defeated me most afternoons.


Despite his tremendous activity, I did manage to get a number of photos of Ed. This is one of my favorites, as he's making a point here at Fort Phil Kearny. The only thing missing from here are the participants intensely studying their maps while he's lecturing.


The group sets out on a walk. I think this one was headed out to the site of the Fetterman massacre/defeat. (Funny how the word changes depending on which side you're on, isn't it?)


The National Cemetery in the Battlefield Park.


It's been a while since I shared an Amy photo. I liked the way the bus windows were acting as a mirror this afternoon.


One of the stops is to Chief Plenty Coups State Park, which helps to tell part of the Indian side of the story. This is Chief Plenty Coups' house.


The monument on Last Stand Hill to the Army casualties. The name in the center is mine. A relative at the battle?


The Indian memorial, dedicated in 2003. It's quite lovely. There are also five panels arranged around the rest of the circle, one for each of the five Native groups present at the battle. Each has chosen to mark its participation and commemorate its dead in its own way.

No comments: