Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Vietnam! Sadly no.

So for those of you puzzling about the December trip, you can rest easy--it's not happening. But I'm terribly disappointed.

I had been hoping to spend nearly three weeks in Vietnam this December, doing a field school. As many of you know, I've been trying to figure out where I'm headed, what the nexus is between my academic fields and my professional interests. This summer, I learned about a course that I still believe is perfect for me. It's focused on sustainable economic development and cultural preservation, and uses two sites in north Vietnam as case studies. For me, it's the combination of international, culture, economics, and environment that I've been seeking. It's more learning. It's led by an incredible teacher. And it's only 2.5 weeks--what better way to quickly determine if this is it. And, it has great application for the work I do at the museum, especially for our constituents in Latin America.

Sadly, my boss could not get the approvals. Because I'm not in graduate school, I have to apply as a professional development candidate through work. She thinks perhaps next year. For me, who says next year will be any better, or easier to schedule? I know the timing was bad, but when is it good? Greg thinks I should go anyway, but I don't see how that's possible. I guess I'm spared trying to find the funding for now. And at least the professor is planning to teach it again next year. So I think we'll be having a few holiday parties instead this year, where I can try to drown my sorrows at missing what I feel is my next step. And you all will miss some wonderful blogs from a truly lovely place.

No comments: