Saturday, September 27, 2008

Flat Stanley in Portland

I arrived in Portland to find that we had company. Laura's daughter Chloe had sent Kati a Flat Stanley. Flat Stanley is a school project. The kids color and prepare their figure, and then he gets photographed at all kinds of landmarks doing many different things. It probably started as a summer vacation project, with a goal of teaching kids history or geography or something. Somehow, I think kindergarten is a little young to really appreciate this. But Chloe tried to turn hers into a Flat Stella (you'll see that he/she is wearing a skirt and heels instead). In any case, we thought we'd take him around. After all, Oregon has many wonderful wineries and breweries, so we thought he might enjoy learning how to sample.

Unfortunately, we didn't have time for that. But Portland does have a wonderful Japanese Garden and Rose Garden. So we went there. I had a terrific couple of days with Kati, before heading off to work. They were relaxing and fun, and included the required stop at Powell's, the independent bookstore of Portland that is actually a nationally-known icon. (I'd been hoping for my acceptance letter, so went ahead and bought a Vietnam guidebook there!) Here's a little photo essay to share the gardens.


Kati shows off Flat Stanley/Stella at the entrance to the lovely Japanese Gardens. Proof that I was there.



The gardens are divided into five separate garden styles. Every one is lovely and tranquil.


The big beautiful trees of the Pacific Northwest never cease to amaze me.


One of many water features throughout the gardens. I like the way you can see the ripples in the pond here.


This is part of the sand and stone garden. It's an abstract "planting" of stones, designed to call to mind the sea. That's probably why I like it.


Here is Flat Stanley in the Rose Garden. This is a truly lovely spot, with acres of roses, all different colors, all different styles, all different scents. Roses are not my favorite flower, as you all know, but this was pretty.


No comments: