It's been great being home for a few weeks. I actually feel like I can get some things done, and that it's not always a great big rush--grocery, laundry, repack. It's been good to wander (we finally saw the special exhibit at the National Gallery of Art last week, Treasures from the National Museum of Afghanistan), and get reconnected with the city.
Yesterday we had a visit from tropical depression Hannah. I must say, I had a great day. I could see from the window that several of the farmers' market vendors had made it, so I figured that I could too. Getting the bread home was a feat, but I managed. Everything else, including me, was sopping wet. I had to line my dollar bills--the few I didn't spend at the market--out to dry! But I love the market, and if I'm here, I go. Then I spent the afternoon catching up on my own travel items--archiving photos to CD, cleaning them off the computer, doing photo sorts and prints so that I can start the albums--and other related activities, like catching up on bills and ordering books from the library. I finally also got to start my Spanish workbooks, so that was fun. I'd bought two a bit ago--one on vocabulary and one on verbs. I also just ordered Rosetta Stone, Spanish and French, at the office. I'm not around enough lately to fit a class into my schedule, so we'll try this method instead. Anyway, lots of work to do there.
Speaking of work, the office is crazy. Last week was beyond insane, closing out those last couple of trips and prepping for the next round. I had major deadlines for all three projects, and really didn't know which end was up. This week will be busy too, but I'm hoping it doesn't have the same dire feeling to it. Come the 18th, I start five trips in six weeks, so I've got more prep to do, as there are four different teams involved in four of those trips, and they span two different projects and our Board of Trustees meeting. Sad when that's the trip I already feel most prepared for....
Finally, we need to start thinking about holiday plans. At work, we feel that the Peru trip will probably be delayed until January, which suits all of us very well. That will give me a complete break in November. So we'll plan to have Thanksgiving here, and have friends over. (Family's welcome, we just know the distance.) And, my big news, Vietnam may be on after all! Turns out there were some mixed messages, and as long as I can find the funds elsewhere, it looks clear at work. So I've started looking at funding sources, and I'm going to get the paperwork in next week. So that would be my December. It's funny--I'd reconciled myself to not doing the course, and had started to think about other options, because I was going to have to take most or all of that time off anyway, or lose the leave hours. So I'd been thinking about spa vacations, and free airline tickets, and where to visit. So in a sense, it's sad to have it shift again, as that break would have been good. But I'm absolutely convinced that this is a perfect program for me, and I'm sure it will still be a break--an absolutely breathtakingly beautiful location where I get to study too! I've been starting to miss school again, so maybe this will hold me for a bit.
Anyway, just an update during the relatively long break. I arrive in Portland 9/18, just in time for a meeting. Then I have two days with Kati before I return to the airport and pick up the car and the team, and head to work. After Oregon it's Nashville, then Montana for the web project (and those trips are always amazing). Then I'm home for a week before Anchorage. I've decided to stay on my own in Anchorage for two days, and not try to cram Seattle in; the developer meeting I thought I might have isn't necessary at this time. I'll be home for a day before the Board meeting in NYC, and that's a great way to end the craziness. And who knows? Greg may join me in Nashville or NY--he's supposed to let me know this week. OK, got to go bake a cake for one of my group's baby shower tomorrow. More soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment