I've already posted about Festival and Inauguration. After that we had our Board of Trustees meeting. Now, it's back to work. Except that work isn't the same work. Our new director is starting to articulate his vision, and my department is the first to feel the effects, and they are quite significant for us. For many in the group, we have been gutted. I'm not one to believe that all change is bad, and some of this may prove to be fine in the end. However, the way it's been handled is leaving much to be desired. For me personally, I am having a complete plate clearing and am being reassigned--same department, but a completely new set of tasks. We have two areas of the museum that are hybrid spaces between the public and communities, and I'm being asked to take them over and handle their restructuring to more interactive, family-friendly spaces. It could, actually, be rather fun. It's certainly a huge, high-profile task. What I'm actually quite bothered about is the transition for all my other work. As I see it, there are natural break points for projects and unnatural break points; smoother transitions and more difficult transitions. For the community connections project, we're basically at a natural break point, but it's a difficult transition that's underway. For the web project, they've chosen the unnatural break point and the very difficult transition route. Ah well, not much I can do except let it go.
So, in other news, we got new fish. I'm home today on my new AWS schedule (9 longer days on, one extra day off), so I took some photos. Only three of our orchids survived the move, and one is in bloom now, a little Paph (Paphiopedilum). It's really lovely. And the Christmas cactus just got another (late) bloom. The new fishes are two fancy tetras and an angelfish. So we have a full tank again, although the majority of the others are getting old. What I didn't photograph was the beta, as he was sleeping back behind his plants under his little nest of bubbles, so I couldn't really get a good shot. Next time.

The Paph orchid and the Christmas cactus.


Our little tank.

A few of the corys hiding in the back. We now have six. We only bought three.... Below, the new angelfish. Sorry, the new tetras were always just blurs.

We're off to NYC for a quick break (got to love free train tickets and free hotels, especially in this climate), and I'll be back there end of next week for work. I'll be headed to NY monthly again. (I still can't figure out how being unhappy with my travel schedule and wanting to clear my plate is reflected in the removal of two community trips and the additional of ten work-office trips.) Peru/Ecuador is off; Oregon and Australia are still on. Oregon is coming up soon (first week of March), and both papers for the Australia conference have been accepted. Now I just need to work out the details of the side trips, the lectures and talks, the other workshop.... After the Oregon conference!
No comments:
Post a Comment