Sunday, January 25, 2009

Headed Home

Our final evening was a wonderful occasion. We had reservations at Cargo Club, Ms. Vy's restaurant, and had an amazing time. Such laughter! It was such an amazing experience to have spent such an intensive period of time with such a small group, where everyone enjoyed each other's company, learned from each other, and didn't want the time to end. Of course it must, (although we all have plans to catch up again), and the following morning we had our final class, then lunch, and then began to go our separate ways. Yider was headed to the DMZ, while Thu Huong, Joanne, Amar and I had a flight back to Hanoi. The others were staying in Hoi An, Viet Nam, and/or Southeast Asia for anywhere from one more day to three more weeks. Once back in Hanoi, Thu Huong returned to her family, and Joanne left early the next morning. I joined Amar for a meeting that morning, then he left too. I spent the rest of the day wandering around, catching up on email, and relaxing in the park by the Temple of Literature. I had a good workout, took a shower, and repacked, then left for the airport around 8:30 that evening. The flights home were long, more so as I didn't sleep again, but with such wonderful memories occupying my mind, who could blame me?


Amar, who claims a nickname of the laughing buddha, hamming it up by the lobby statue.


The 2008 University of Queensland Vietnam Field School class. Back row, l to r: Thu Huong (Viet Nam), Joanne (Canada), Pilyoung (South Korea), Amar (India/Australia), Joycelin (Papua New Guinea), Yider (Taiwan). Front row, l to r: Rae (Australia), Joyce (Malaysia), Holly (Austria), me, Burcu (Turkey).

No comments: