On the way, we stopped at his dad's place. Harry's father Eddie is in his eighties. He keeps his own house and campground, and works to supply a public campground. He was in the middle of carving some traditional spears for the National Gallery in Canberra, and very kindly brought them out for us to see while we talked. I think that Terena and the Library staff are going to try to do some oral history work with him in the near future.
But by then the afternoon was getting away from us, and this meant we had a race against the tide to get to the sands. Good thing we all had four-wheel-drives!

A quick shot on the way down of when the ocean first emerges through the trees. You can see that this is just a dirt road. It was about a 30-45 minute drive from the community.

Yes, the Coloured Sands are beautiful!


Harry and Terena.

Yes, crabs live here. I spied the holes, and was just captivated by all the perfect little spheres of sand that they ejected. Oddly, I think I was the only one who saw these crab holes too. Harry certainly seemed surprised when I asked him about them. But, we know I'm odd that way.

Yes, we did race the tide! On Eddie's orders, this was a five-minute stop. You can see the tide here among the mangrove trees, and can tell that we're driving a bit away from this, closer to the water's edge.
On the way back into town, we spied another kookaburra, but this one had blue wings. We'd heard someone in town talk about him, and that he was rather unusual. (Or so they made it sound, anyway.) We had about an hour or so before we needed to meet up with Olivia and Luke for the evening's adventure.

And proof positive of our adventures -- feet covered in bush dirt.
No comments:
Post a Comment