Sport is huge in Australia. Honestly, I'm not certain I've ever seen a more sports-mad country. It doesn't matter the sport, there are Aussies who will try it, who follow it, and who excel at it. Just look at their contingents every Olympics -- large delegations, every time. To me, the Aussies enjoy the outdoors, enjoy competition, and enjoy company, so sport fits the trifecta perfectly.
We were lucky enough to be in Brisbane during State of Origin. This is Rugby League Football, and one of its premier competitions. As we were driving out of Cairns on the way to Wujal Wujal, we passed a huge statue of James Cook, who had been redecorated in Queensland Football colors, including "footie socks." Clearly, this was a serious obsession.
I'd not really seen rugby league football before, but most of you know that I love sports too, so I was excited. State of Origin pits Queensland against New South Wales. (I learned that the majority of the professional league teams are in these two states, so that's why they play each other.) So the State of Origin comes in here: as a player, you play for the state in which you played your first (original) professional game after the age of sixteen. Some local professionals from communities we visited were actually playing for the opposition, NSW. Loyalties in the region were divided.
So as not to be confused, American football is called gridiron. European football is soccer, like in the States. Rugby league football is football. Australian rules football is Aussie rules. (I think I've got that right!) All have their followers, and all are popular.
Olivia and Luke wanted us to have a real experience too. Sadly, we were a bit removed from the huge population areas, so our options were limited. But we chose a good main street pub, and settled in.
In rugby league football, points are scored for a try, and there are a multitude of passes and plays undertaken to make the score. It's rough, and there are penalties. I must say, a few questions of Luke (and hopefully not too many!), and I had it, and it was fun.
Queensland wears maroon, and are called the Maroons. They are also called the cane toads. New South Wales, called the Blues, wear, yes, blue. They are also called the cockroaches. I'm not really clear on where these came from. One other point that I never figured out, no matter how hard I tried, was why they were even playing this match. It's a best, two out of three series, and Queensland had already won the first two. I can only assume that it comes down to the pure enjoyment of sport: why waste the opportunity to play? If only understanding cricket were this easy.....
No comments:
Post a Comment