Friday, October 2, 2009

So What's Next?

With the change of my job, my travel schedule this year has been decidedly quieter than last year's, as you've no doubt noticed. But Australia was pretty spectacular, and I have another continental adventure coming quickly.

A few months back, one of my girl friends in DC said that she wanted to go to Spain this fall and study Spanish. She spent several years in Morocco with the Peace Corps, so has visited a few times, but has certainly missed several places, and was unable to visit some sites in the cities she visited owing to construction and such. So, me being me, I made the comment that I thought that sounded lovely. She replied with a statement that realized that I have been studying Spanish, and asking if I wanted to go. Which, of course, I did (do!). And so off we are going.

Here's the plan:
15 Oct: leave WDC
16 Oct: arrive, via plane then train, in Córdoba -- be a tourist
17 Oct: arrive, via train, in Sevilla
18 Oct: excursion to the White Villages
19-23 Oct: intensive Spanish classes and being a tourist
24 Oct: arrive, via train, in Madrid
24-27 Oct: day trips to Segovia and Toledo, and tourism in Madrid
28 Oct: fly back to WDC

I can't even begin to describe how excited I am! And, of all the odd things, I have a friend from Ecuador whom I'll see in Sevilla -- he recently received a scholarship to study there and is moving next week. Small world, huh?

After that, a busy fall locally. Mom is coming for Jake's Bar Mitzvah right after I get back, we have tickets to see Cate Blanchett in A Streetcar Named Desire in mid-November, as well as Caps tickets about then too. We'll be hosting Thanksgiving. Assuming I have some funding, I'll then be headed to NY for a work trip, and hopefully a quick trip to CT too. Then back to DC to host a holiday party with friends. We're staying in DC this year because we can't make two trips to Florida three weeks apart, so we'll be doing the Dawson Christmas-wedding combo in mid-January. I'm not traveling for the holidays this year - woohoo!!!!! And several quick day trips for work to visit children's museums too, although that's still in the works. Promises to be crazy, even if not exotic. But next weekend is the Green Fest, so more soon.

No comments: