Saturday, September 26, 2009

Do You Have Any Snacks?



George Washington. There's actually quite a lot to like about our famous founding father. Surprisingly, even though I've been in Washington DC for a number of years, I've not been to the top of the Washington Monument yet, or out to Mount Vernon (except for a special holiday tour). Well, with Kati in town on Friday, one was corrected.



Mt. Vernon isn't far outside of town, but it took forever to get there (and back too!). The day was overcast, but the rain held off. It's rather a large estate, and the grounds are quite lovely. His house is remarkable, and was even more so in its day. The tour was also rather long, owing to the multiple family groups with us. Most of the children were well-behaved, but there was a group of four..... They were reasonably polite, but not very patient, and mom didn't control them well. But, they are in this blog, because I owe the title to the four-year-old boy, who had that question for the interpreter by the Washington bedroom. Really.


Two photos from one of the gardens. This bumblebee, actively doing his pollinating job, was HUGE. And on some of my favorite flowers too, so I just couldn't resist. And purple peas! So cool.



These archways connect the main house with the servants' quarters and the kitchens, and allow those at the front to get a glimpse of the view out the back. As overheard from one in our group, 'Well, this view sure doesn't suck.' It's the Potomac River, and really stunning.


The afternoon was quite a bit of fun. But can I tell you how much I appreciated this sign on our way out? Simple and forthright.

No comments: