Sunday, November 14, 2010

Butterflies



After our chat we headed over to the butterfly house. The lodge has a breeding center as well, including for the famed -- rightly so! -- blue morpho butterfly. I can't even guess how many times I saw blue morphos over the course of the five days, but none of us was ever able to get a good photo of one, sadly. However, they are GORGEOUS!!




By the breeding bins are these charming hand-made signs all about the butterflies within. Below, the butterflies liked Hannele.



Sign for the morpho. Below, a whole case of butterflies in the chrysalis stage.



Many many Ojo de Bujo (eye of the owl) butterflies. These spots are camouflage and decoy for predators. Below, I don't remember, but they were pretty.



So many beautiful creatures.


This is the closest I got to a good photo of the morpho. It was feeding, but just would not open its wings.


We did not want to leave the butterfly house! Eventually we had to -- lunch and classes called.

No comments: