
We were late returning from our excursion, and the chef and kitchen were waiting for us. So, despite being sweaty and messy from our long forest hike, we ran straight to the outdoor cooking pit.
Lunch was already on the fire, but they had kept some supplies aside so that we could help and learn. Hannele isn't as fond of cooking, which was just perfect for me, because I really wanted to do it. I love to cook! And cooking with community members is one of my favorite things -- learning new dishes, sharing their wisdom and culture, it's such a bonus.

Fish lunch! Wild tilapia, actually. In fact, I had tilapia several times while in Ecuador, and it was great. It has a reputation in the States of being a fish chefs love because it has no flavor so is easy to work with. But that wasn't the case in Ecuador -- it had a lot of flavor. Below, some yuca and plantain, and hoja de bihau (bihau leaves).

While chef prepared, Juan discussed the process and foods with us. I then helped make meito de tilapia -- tilapia that has been cleaned, with a bit of salt, wrapped in the bihau leaf, and tied. Actually, it was just like making lau lau in Hawai'i! They were amazed at how I knew what to do and did it so quickly, until I explained that I'd done it before. That led to all kinds of observations about tropical cultures and indigenous communities and shared traditions....

But I digress. We also had heart of palm, fresh from the plant, with a little salt and lime juice, as an appetizer. The second appetizer was something else new: ortiga, or stinging nettle. I would have never known to try this plant, and it was wonderful.
Then they were ready for the final appetizer, which needed to be prepared. I think there was a bit of conspiracy; Hannele didn't seem to know what was going on, but both professors and Juan all, simultaneously, nominated me to open the mystery package.

This wasn't entirely fair, as I had a pretty good idea what was in there. The topic had come up in Quito with Vinicio, and something just told me.....

Yes, gusanitas, little grubs. From the palm tree. A delicacy.
As I've said before, I'm not a fan of bugs. That includes eating them. I just have a mental block about insects. Something about all those legs -- or no legs at all. I really didn't know how I'd do it. However, I have a personal rule -- when I'm in community, I eat what is served to me. Now I wasn't in community for work, and I was on vacation, and I was technically at a lodge so not really in community.....
But it was community land and community-prepared and community-tradition and community members with dining with us. Since I declined to eat them crudo (raw), I watched as chef prepared the grubs to grill....

And as he cut them up for everyone....

Oh, you can see a bit of the nettle salad in this photo too.
And then Juan, our guide, who was also akin to our community host, put his arm around my shoulders and asked me to join him, and there was no way to refuse. He promised that they were like popcorn.
The parts that were well-done by the fire (en croquante) and crunchy were indeed like popcorn. But the parts that were still suave (soft), not so much. Those weren't my favorite. And because he so wanted to convert me, Juan asked me to join him for round two. Sadly, it was the same.
But I did it. Now, next time I'm at Oyamel, bring on the grasshopper tacos!
No comments:
Post a Comment