Friday, November 5, 2010

Ecuador, in many parts: the beginning


As a start, a city view of Quito.

I'm feeling behind on a number of personal projects, including a presentation that was due this week and some translation/editing work for my friends in Quito, but I'm also burned out from the return. I've got another meeting today, even though I'm off, trying to sort out some issues. So I've decided that since it is my off day, I'm going to do some photo work and get the blog and such started. If I don't do it now.... I mean, it's been two weeks already!

My trip began with a very early morning flight and a six-hour layover in Miami. But hey, I was on vacation! Sadly, my email wasn't yet, but it was useful too -- my latest paper for publication was ready for review, and it was good that I learned that and had the chance to fix a few things. But Miami is a boring airport, except for the marine themes, and it was a long layover. They're remodeling; few places to eat, NO places for massage, you get the point.


These were pretty cool. I assume they were fiberglass.


But the flights were good, and immigration and customs were both quick and uneventful. Found my ride quickly too, but somehow, inexplicably to me, they thought Greg was traveling with me. This after telling the school twice, and twice refusing to give them any non-existent information about Greg's travels. We then had to wait 45 minutes -- with my not-so-good Spanish for conversation -- because of an amazing city attempt to control out-of-control traffic. Quito is a large city, about 2 million people, and with a large land base but a very narrow one, hemmed in by the mountains. So they have a system of 'pico y placa,' which is rush hour restrictions based on license plate numbers. So, tired and stiff from traveling, my brain was immediately pressed into action. And it wasn't too bad.

The host family at the hostel was incredibly sweet, but they too had received the wrong information about my traveling party, and had me in a room much too large for all of us. So off the bat, my feminist hackles were invoked. Now, I did expect this to some degree from the culture, but not from the school with whom I'd been corresponding, and with a native English speaker no less. So instead of being able to unpack and settle in, I would have to move the next day when one of the regular rooms cleared out. However, my friend from Cuenca who just -- literally, that day -- moved to Quito, called. Sadly, I'm bad on the phone normally, so in Spanish..... But I did manage to understand that we had a meeting at the organization's office the next morning at 10, and to get the address. Mostly.


This was my hostel. It was a lovely home, run by a wonderful family. We had fabulous breakfast every day, could rent the computer, could order laundry, etc. It really was terrific.

And the view down the street from the hostel. Yes, guards on the corner, mountains in the distance.


This was my first room at the hostel. In addition to these two beds, there were bunk beds.

My room for the rest of the month, and one of the weavings and decorations. These mats are woven from tortora reeds.



This view shows the breakfast area. Traditionally, I ate the desayuno de la casa, which was tea, granola, yogurt and fresh fruit. Yum! Below, the main common room of the hostel. Below that, the "check-in" area.



My first morning in Quito, on my way to my meeting, I got a little lost, but found this lovely overlook of the mountains. Ecuador is a stunningly beautiful country. In Quito, you see the mountains everywhere. It's quite an assault on the senses when you're not used to it, because it's just so beautiful all the time.



Obviously, there's much to talk about! I'll work over the next few weeks to cover a variety of things, from the excursions I took with the school and with my friends, new and amazing foods I had, the stunning flora and fauna I encountered, idiosyncracies of life in Ecuador like public transportation, etc. I know I'll enjoy seeing it all again -- hope you'll enjoy being with me!

No comments: