Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Vermont! Starting off with planes, trains, and automobiles

Vermont is lovely!

And I can't show you because Blogger won't recognize that I have images on my iPad. :(

Unless I can figure something else out, I'll have to do a photo journey when I get back. In the meantime....

I flew to Burlington this morning (plane) and picked up the rental car (automobile). The flight was bumpy but the drive was lovely. It's amazingly pleasant to drive somewher without traffic! Since I had time before I could check in at the farm, I drove across the state to the one event I'd booked in advance the historic and scenic Green Mountain Railroad was doing a wine and fiddle train today! So I drove over the White River Junction to catch that (train).

On the way I saw tons of green. Small mountains. Signs for "moose" and "bear crossing." And a red-winged blackbird flew in front of me. That was great fun because I recognized it from the activity on wetlands that we're doing for the new space. I also have to look up some geology of the region. I'm sure some of what I saw today along the highway was granite, but I think other was graywacke. But I'm not sure there's graywacke in this area....

The train was great fun. Not a wonderful winery, but the fiddle and banjo player were terrific! And so pretty - I'd forgotten how much I love the smell of pine.

After another drive I found my way to my B&B farm. It's nice and charming and I have the place to myself until Saturday. :) And Lee has offered to teach me to milk a cow! I already visited the barn to see the cows and pigs and chickens. Assuming I can wake up in time tomorrow, I plan to get started right away on that. At worst, Friday.

Well, there's a book calling my name and I do want to see what's going on in the region tomorrow. And I'm tired too. More soon!

No comments: