Wednesday, May 15, 2013

New York Botanical Garden

One of the goals of the trip was to be outside and enjoy spring! I'd never been to the New York Botanical Gardens before. Besides tulips, they were hosting an exhibit by one of my favorite sculptors, Spaniard Manolo Valdés. These photos, though, are of other lovely things from the gardens.

 I took the subway to the gardens. One of the things I love about New York is the mosaics in the stations. How beautiful are these!

 Ah, the zen rock garden. I could have spent hours there. I think Jane could have too, but we had lots to see.....
 The little camera does panoramics! Fun. More rock garden.
 Pretty fuzzy little whats?
 Azaleas were in bloom too. Whole hillsides. 

 And the crabapple trees.

 The pink ones too.
 In the kids' section, we found this floral caterpillar.
And papyrus! I'd never seen it before. Very cool.

It was a spectacular day! After wandering the gardens for a few hours, we went to Arthur Avenue for lunch, where we had incredible pizza. Another area I'd never been, although I'd heard about it my whole life. Part of the family grew up there, and my uncle would go before every holiday to get the pastries and bread. It was amazing. Jane suggested it without having any idea of its importance. We wandered for a bit after, and I bought one mini cannoli at Egidio Bakery (since 1912). Good thing -- there was no way I could have stopped myself from eating more if I had bought them, they were that good.

I then took MetroNorth back to the city, and that evening caught a show. I saw the Perfect Crime, a drama in one of the small Times Square theaters. It was OK. But it was good to be out and doing something cultural. And, I had great Japanese just before, including edamame dumpling soup. Yum. A great end to a lovely day.

No comments: