So much for good intentions! Between the grant review, the conference/presentation prep, and the refinance, my time was sapped. But, I will get these up before I leave for South America. And so, back to the botanical garden.
My main reason for going -- in addition to tulips and gardens -- was to see the special exhibit of Manolo Valdés sculptures. I'd seen his work first in Madrid several years ago, and fell in love with these giant female heads enveloped by nature. Some of those same pieces were then in NYC along Broadway. I've blogged about both. Now, a new exhibit. I was ready!
His work uses bronze, steel, and aluminum. The heads are often 17 feet tall, and the sculptures can reach lengths of 50 feet. The "crowns" were often of ferns, palm fronts, and butterflies. I so love his work! Too bad I have neither a yard nor a bank account that can accommodate it.
Butterflies.
(detail)
Fiore
Ivy
Guiomar
(detail)
Galatea
Alhambra
(detail)
Arcadia
Wonder where I'll see his work next?










No comments:
Post a Comment