The stage was set.
It was a beautiful day, making the setting even more stunning.
The procession began with flutes and drums.
The antisuyu tribute, from the rainforest.
Our seats were closest to the antisuyu element, so hence, my extensive photos of their group.
Moving the Qolla's throne into position.
Front row seats have their perks! Wonderful opportunities to catch details of regalia.
I love this pink against the natural stone, earth and sky.
I think this is one of my favorite images.
Ah, the Inka! I will admit -- I hit the wrong button in my exuberance, and caught the timer. And so I missed all the "best" shots of the Inka right in front of me! Bother. And another example of how I'm not a professional photographer.
There was also a pen of llamas on the far side. I was glad to know later that afternoon that the llama sacrifice was not a real llama sacrifice -- it used to be, but the llamas are now there symbolically, as the practice has been halted. I have no idea what it actually was, but I was glad I didn't have to witness llamas dying.
The consensus among my colleagues who have seen several Inti Raymi festivals was that there was a bit much antisuyu this year; that this Inka, who is older than last year's, was terrific; that the Qolla, who was the same as last year, was lovely but needed a stronger role; and genuine pleasure that the dancers all were Andean.
Somewhere I heard that 27,000 tourists watched this year's festival. That's people from outside of Cusco and foreigners. Impressive.
What else? I chewed coca leaves during the ceremony. They weren't pleasant and they weren't unpleasant. I'm not sure they did anything, but perhaps they did -- I had a headache from the morning sun and it did go away. Of course, that could have been the Advil I took with lunch....
We walked back to the center of town after, stopping at a restaurant with a huge and lovely old Inka wall as its rear wall, to have a local beer, called Cusqueña. It's a dark beer, a little sweet. I like it.
Otherwise, I'm looking forward to returning next year to see it again! While my photos hopefully will help the activity centers and the media team think about what they need, we'll have a real production team with us then.
And I really hope I have the chance to go back and see it without the festival, so that I can wander those incredible walls myself and reflect on another time.
















No comments:
Post a Comment